right, I'm looking to get a new amp as an upgrade to my fender mustang 2. there's three that I've been looking at, and they are the orange tiny terror, the vox night train, and the egnater tweaker. My budget is around £400, but I don't mind saving more. I don't mind buying used, but I'd prefer new. I play garage rock/indie ala the strokes and the vaccines, and my current guitar is a fender Mexican standard telecaster, and my effects are: boss ME-25, EHX germanium 4 big muff pi, and an EHX small stone. oh, and I'm not gigging at the moment but aim to soon, and I'd like an amp that sounds good clean as well as overdriven. I am also open to other suggestions. thanks.
Bass:Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Guitar: Fender Mexican Telecaster Standard
Pedals: Boss ME-25>EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi>EHX Small Stone
Bass Amp: Orange Crush 100
Amp: Fender Mustang II
No cleans with the TT. I would go with the Tweaker.
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
Egnater Tweaker fee sho.

Altho the Night Train ain't too bad either.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well I know it's not a head, but what about something like a Vox AC15? They're perfect for garage/indie, especially if you have a few pedals already.
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay
Fryer Treble Booster Deluxe
I had a look at the ac15, but two came up, the ac15vr and the ac15c1 or something. what's the difference?
I was recently in the same exact situation, same heads and everything, and I chose the Tiny Terror. I love my Orange Tiny Terror. Its simple, stylish, and practical. The cleans are not perfect, a bit plain, but I have found that a simple chorus pedal at the right level cleans them up very nicely. The gain has definitely got a nice ring to it, nothing hardcore, but a nice clean classic rock tone. The way I see it, its a great basic tube amp for the money. I have to admit though, I wasn't as satisfied with the amp until I started adding pedals. After adding ordinary distortion, wah, and chorus pedals, the tonal range really impressed me. Maybe its just the pedals, I don't know, but I was ecstatic at the sound I was getting. It shouldn't be much of a problem in your case though, considering the set of pedals you already have. I have no regrets choosing it over the Egnater and Night Train.
@Picklelerner could I use my phaser like you use the chorus to add some depth to the clean tone?
Check this out-
nvm out of budget
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
if I were to get the tiny terror, should I get the cab for it, or are there better cabs I could get? the same applies for the tweaker or night train to, should I get the cab made especially for the head?
Last edited by JakeElson at Aug 28, 2011,
Quote by JakeElson
@Picklelerner could I use my phaser like you use the chorus to add some depth to the clean tone?

Yes an mxr phase ninety on about nine o'clock sounds great with the tt.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Look into a Laney VC30:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_vc30112_new.htm

It's geared pretty much exactly towards the sounds you described, and it's great value in the UK. Granted, it's 80 quid over budget, but worth saving up for. Plus, you can pick up a used one for a good price fairly easily - do a search on ebay or gumtree.

The only thing about it that I dislike is the stock speaker, though it's bearable. It's not worse than anything else in it's price range, mind you... it's just that I wish the manufacturer would've chosen something slightly better. I mean, the price difference between the stock speaker and any of Celestion's/Emi's/Jensen's better speakers is like 30 bucks.

Also great value, but a bit more classic rock than indie:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_custom_wave_ycv50b.htm

The price is stupidly low for an amp of this quality. Better speaker than the Laney, also. It might be a bit too aggressive for your tastes, even though it is definitely useable for your genres. I do have the feeling that the VC30 with an upgraded speaker might be the better choice for you, but then, that route would cost you a bit more cash.
Quote by fretz86
Yes an mxr phase ninety on about nine o'clock sounds great with the tt.

I'm assuming a small stone will as well? I am looking at the tt more and more (mainly because it's the cheapest one lol) but does it fit with the genres I play?
It fits most rock genres well, not a great metal amp. Does classic rock stuff best.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Quote by TheQuailman
Look into a Laney VC30:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_vc30112_new.htm

It's geared pretty much exactly towards the sounds you described, and it's great value in the UK. Granted, it's 80 quid over budget, but worth saving up for. Plus, you can pick up a used one for a good price fairly easily - do a search on ebay or gumtree.

The only thing about it that I dislike is the stock speaker, though it's bearable. It's not worse than anything else in it's price range, mind you... it's just that I wish the manufacturer would've chosen something slightly better. I mean, the price difference between the stock speaker and any of Celestion's/Emi's/Jensen's better speakers is like 30 bucks.

Also great value, but a bit more classic rock than indie:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_custom_wave_ycv50b.htm

The price is stupidly low for an amp of this quality. Better speaker than the Laney, also. It might be a bit too aggressive for your tastes, even though it is definitely useable for your genres. I do have the feeling that the VC30 with an upgraded speaker might be the better choice for you, but then, that route would cost you a bit more cash.

just when I thought I'd narrowed it down...
Quote by JakeElson
if I were to get the tiny terror, should I get the cab for it, or are there better cabs I could get? the same applies for the tweaker or night train to, should I get the cab made especially for the head?

You can get a different cab, it's no problem. Personally, I didn't like the sound of the tt-combo at all, and since Orange cabs come with the same speakers as the combo, I'd assume the tt head with an Orange cab would sound equally bad.
oh right. any suggestions for speakers then? I'm looking at the laney as well now.
Well, I can only make guesses because I have not tried the tt with different cabs, but something that sounds a little softer than the Celestion V30 that comes stock in the combo should be good. (The problem is that most decent cabs come stock with the V30... it's not a bad speaker, indeed it's rather versatile, but it doesn't work well with some amps).
The Traynor Darkhorse cab comes with a Celestion G12M Greenback, which is a less abrassive sounding speaker than the V30:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_darkhorse_cab_112.htm

Apart from that, most cabs at this price range come with fairly low-end speakers (often disguised as "custom designed" models or something along those lines). Most of the pricier cabs come with V30s.
Buying a cab and then changing the speaker will cost you extra money, and without much experience with speakers, can likely backfire.

EDIT: To keep things simple and relatively safe, I'd rather advise you to look into a combo (which'd also be better value usually). The VC30 is imo your best bet, though trying out a tt wouldn't hurt, you might just happen to like it.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 28, 2011,
yeah thinking about it a combo is probably easier. the music shop near me had a tt though, so I will give it a try sometime.
Sorry for the late reply...

Difference between AC15C1 and the AC15VR are that the VR is a "hybrid" amp, whereas the C1 is a tube amp. Basically, you should only bother with the C1. Worth giving a go.
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay
Fryer Treble Booster Deluxe