Does anyone know any cool BM scales or any other cool spooky sounding ones that I could practise? I don't know very many and it would be a big help. Also, maybe post a tab? There are so many different ones, so I'll probably find the wrong one.

Cheers!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Locrian: B C D E F G A B
Harmonic: A B C D E F G# A
Melodic: A B C D E F# G# A G F E D C B A
*Headscratch* I am not good at fretboard notes yet.. I must do that.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Lots of chromatic as well.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
You mean like 1234 chromatics? I can do those pretty tight, but the don't sound to creepy.
Quote by luxeion

Ah, thanks, Super!
Quote by luxeion

Okay, I do not know how to use that site.. I get dots all over the fretboard.
Quote by luxeion

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
You mean like 1234 chromatics? I can do those pretty tight, but the don't sound to creepy.

Try using tritones, pretty much every steroetypical Black Metal riff is based around the idea of a tritone with chromatic notes chucked in.

Tremolo pick these notes
|--------------|
|--------------|
|--------------|
|-----7-6-8--|
|--5----------|
|--------------|
Sounds wicked! I don't listen to black, but it's brutal so I need to know it
Quote by luxeion

Minor scales

It's not the scales, it's how you use them. Chromatic stuff and tritones work well. I suggest analyzing some black metal, listen to what they play and figure out why it sounds like it does and you can apply it to your playing.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by StrykVladzimsky

I'd suggest the harmonic and melodic minor scales. An important thing to remember is that it's not what notes you use, it's how you use them.
Diminished scale and arpeggio.

Diminished scale : Root, minor 2nd, minor 3rd, major 3rd, flat 5, perfect fifth, Major 6th, minor 7th , octave. If im not mistaken.

Diminished arpeggio : Root, minor 3rd, flat 5.

Those 2 together with what has already been said.
Quote by JetPackBlues

I'd suggest the harmonic and melodic minor scales. An important thing to remember is that it's not what notes you use, it's how you use them.

This.

Also, most of the music I've written so far, being black metal, has been in simple straight-up minor keys. It depends on how you use it, and what you want with it.
Last edited by Paraaz at Aug 28, 2011,
Quote by Flibo
Minor scales

It's not the scales, it's how you use them. Chromatic stuff and tritones work well. I suggest analyzing some black metal, listen to what they play and figure out why it sounds like it does and you can apply it to your playing.

This. Nothing but this. There's a few lessons out on youtube with Abbath from Immortal and some with Ihsahn and Samoth from Emperor so go watch those.

Quote by StrykVladzimsky

You're doing it wrong, death metal is brutal, black metal needs to be gr1m, kvlt and frostbitten!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Use lots of tension, lots of dissonance, and use primarily dyads with minor thirds rather than root-5th power chords. Scales really don't have much play in black metal so much as context - there are times when BM is borderline atonal, provided it sounds kvlt as possible.
modes are a social construct
Scales won't do you any good. You want phrasing advice.

A lot of black metal uses the natural minor scale extensively, but more importantly, it focuses on certain intervals. You'll see a lot of minor thirds and diminished fifth relations between notes, since those are very tense intervals. You'll also see copious amounts of tremolo picking. Chord progressions will tend to be chromatic in nature, focusing on diminished, augmented, and minor chords, all of which contain a great deal of tension.

Definitely do like Zaphod said: look at black metal songs you like and see how those parts are written and what kind of sound the artists get using the notes they choose.