Hi,

I was wondering what bands could I possibly give a death metal dude who wants to get into prog aside from Dream Theater

Thanks a bunch
Between The Buried And Me
Camel
King Crimson
Mastodon
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Riverside
Rush
Yes

...just to name a few.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
On the verge of prog with the new album, Protest the Hero. Really great band.

Oh and Mr Bungle if you just want something that incorporates every single sound (genre) in existence flawlessly.
Last edited by Mr.-Bungle at Aug 28, 2011,
The obvious answer would be Pink Floyd, but I believe your friend probably has already given em a go, since everyone listens to Pink Floyd.
Necromass
Atheist
King Crimson
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
He's more of a Death, Necrophagist , Insomnium kinda guy and he already likes Opeth so that's a good start already. Thanks for all the suggestions I think he'll like Protest the Hero sans the vocals.
Quote by gothblade
He's more of a Death, Necrophagist , Insomnium kinda guy and he already likes Opeth so that's a good start already. Thanks for all the suggestions I think he'll like Protest the Hero sans the vocals.

Show him Protest the Hero's album Fortress - it's got the most harsh vocals of their albums.

Between the Buried and Me is definitely a good step for a death metal guy to take towards prog. Their vocals are definitely more towards the death metal end of the spectrum than Protest the Hero, but they have a definite tendency towards proggy goodness.

Sons of Aurelius is a tech death band that incorporates some progressive elements into their music, so take a gander at their stuff.

If he's into the classical aspect of Necrophagist, show him The Human Abstract. They've got a lot of classical influence and incorporate a lot of progressive and hardcore elements (less hardcore on their latest album, Digital Veil) and their vocalist uses harsh vocals similar to those used by the Black Dahlia Murder.

Atheist and Cynic (mostly their first album, Focus) are often mentioned in the same breath in these kinds of topics. they've got similar approaches to progressive metal. Cynic is definitely more progressive rock-leaning these days, so that could be a good springboard into that aspect of progressive rock.
Didn't want to make another thread so I'll just ask for recommendations here. I need some 70's psychedelic/prog rock similar to something like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, or Tangerine Dream. Doesn't need to be from the 70's, just similar to that type of stuff.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace