Hey all, I've got a Digitech Whammy IV, and up till now I've only been using it for the obvious things: the divebomb, harmony, pitch shifting and that sort of thing for live shows.

I've noticed the midi input, and I consulted the manual which said :"A new feature found in this incarnation of the Whammy(TM) is a MIDI input. MIDI messages can
select a Whammy(TM) Preset with the effect engaged or disengaged, and control the pedal
position."

Unfortunately I don't really know what that means What other functionality can I get out of this? Please excuse my ignorance :P
It means that other midi comparable instruments can control the whammy's functions.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
comparable or compatible? So if I have a midi keyboard, I can set a key to make it go from harmonizing 5ths to... Pitch shifting 2 octaves up, let's say?
Yeah, I meant compatible. And yes, your keyboard can adjust the settings on the wahmmy as long as it's midi compatible.

The manual should explain how to control the wahmmy via midi.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 28, 2011,
Yeah it just means that the chosen effect (i.e. octave up, 5th harmony, etc.) can be turned on or off or changed, as well as the position of the foot pedal.

A good example of this being used would be Map of the Problematique by Muse. The effect is achieved by plugging a USB-to-MIDI cable into a Digitech Whammy IV from a laptop. Then a chosen, compatible software runs the MIDI file and sends the data through the cable to the Whammy pedal and changes it according to how the MIDI file is constructed.
MIDI is Musical Instruments Digital Interface. It describes both the electrical specifications of the interface and the communications protocol. It was originally designed by Roland to connect keyboards together and keyboards with sequencers. Now it is used in many applications, even some lighting boards will receive MIDI.
Within the protocol are several types of messages:
note information: including on and off, note number and key velocity
program change information for selecting patches
continuous controller information such as pitch wheels, aftertouch, modulation wheels, etc.
system exclusive which is proprietary information used to configure a device.

You will see MIDI on some amps. Usually they only receive program change information to select channels but on some one can also assign controller info to change parameters such as volume, gain, etc via expression pedals connected to the MIDI controller.
I don't have much experience with whammy pedals but from your description it suggests that presets can be called up using program changes and pedal position via continuous controllers.
In practice that means that one could use a MIDI controller to control the whammy without actally having to touch the whammy pedal itself. This is a useful feature because when one uses a MIDI controller one would like to control everything with it and not have to jump between controller and other devices. One would be able to stick the whammy out of the way and keep the stage uncluttered. That's the beauty of a MIDI system, you just need the one board to do everything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 28, 2011,
There's no real standard that says if a device supports midi, it has to support any particular functions. It's completely dependant on the individual device and whatever the documentation tells you.
Correct, it is standard practice to include a MIDI implementation chart with the manual that specifies what type of MIDI messages the device will receive and transmit.

A quick lesson in MIDI would probably assist you. Have a read of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI#Interfaces
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A