I'm going off to college in about a week and obviously, I can't take my half-stack with me. Therefore, I'm looking to play my guitar straight into my Sony Vaio laptop. I tried looking around but I just got very confused about the different options.

Now, I'm looking for a cheap option as I don't have a huge amount of money atm. Am I just looking for a jack cable with a usb end or do I need an audio interface? As far as software goes I'll be relying on torrents but I don't know what software to get.

I can give laptop specs. if needs be. Any help is appreciated!

TL;DR: What do I need to play through my computer? - cable, interface, software etc.
Guitar>pedal>pc
Free software if you just need a simple basis: Audacity. That's probably the easiest setup.
You could also buy modeling software such as guitar rig, etc. and just go from your guitar to your soundcard.
you'll probably be facing latency without an audio interface...
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Imo the only way to get a decent sound without an expensive sound card is to use an interface.

Assuming your computer has some beef to it, you could run a recording program that can use VST plugins and a VST amp simulator.

For a bare-bones setup, you'd be looking at something like:

Guitar > M-Audio Fast Track > Laptop running software

Now I'm not going to suggest ways of getting certain softwares that normally cost money... and I'm pretty sure it's not allowed here, but The Pirate Bay is a fairly popular site...
for amp modeling vsts check out free amp vst.. it's rather thirsty, but produces deacent sound... however, most programs such as adobe audition / steinberg cubase feature a guitar modeling effect...
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Pac_man0123
Imo the only way to get a decent sound without an expensive sound card is to use an interface.

Assuming your computer has some beef to it, you could run a recording program that can use VST plugins and a VST amp simulator.

For a bare-bones setup, you'd be looking at something like:

Guitar > M-Audio Fast Track > Laptop running software

Now I'm not going to suggest ways of getting certain softwares that normally cost money... and I'm pretty sure it's not allowed here, but The Pirate Bay is a fairly popular site...

+1

Software worth looking at: (there are probably more but these are the ones I know about)
Amplitube
Guitar Rig
Overloud TH-2
Peavey Revaler
POD Farm
LePou, TSE and Ignite plugs pretty much blow all of the commercial software out of the water, but it requires a bit more knowledge and tweaking to get it to sound great. If you're not going for anything stellar, pod farm will do, plus it's easier to get started with.
Ok, so I have to get an usb audio interface and some software.
I think I'll be able to get a used m-audio fast track for about €50-€60 if I keep an eye on my local advertising website.
im using IK multimedia stealthplug . its a 1/4 guitar jack and the ither end is USB .. come with software to install it + there is a headphone jack on it to plug headphone ( if you dont wanna use the computer speaker . .

does the job .

how much money do you have . im thinking about selling mine as i dont use it .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
You can also try a POD Studio GX, cheap, not the best of 'em, but good bang for your buck. And, when it comes to software, get something that accepts VSTs (I recommend Reaper), and the play around with free amp sims and cab impules. When it comes to the former IMO nothing can beat the TSE X50 but LePou is good too.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
@Skysc Sorry man, looked a some reviews and I'm not too impressed.

Right now I'm thinking of going for m-audio fast track > amplitube.
Quote by conor-figgy
I'm going off to college in about a week and obviously, I can't take my half-stack with me. Therefore, I'm looking to play my guitar straight into my Sony Vaio laptop. I tried looking around but I just got very confused about the different options.

Now, I'm looking for a cheap option as I don't have a huge amount of money atm. Am I just looking for a jack cable with a usb end or do I need an audio interface? As far as software goes I'll be relying on torrents but I don't know what software to get.

I can give laptop specs. if needs be. Any help is appreciated!

TL;DR: What do I need to play through my computer? - cable, interface, software etc.

See this post about music production software.

http://homestudio-recording.blogspot.com/

Quote by conor-figgy
@Skysc Sorry man, looked a some reviews and I'm not too impressed.

Right now I'm thinking of going for m-audio fast track > amplitube.

hey no prob .

theres better out there than amplitube , guitar rig btw ..

you could get LEpou amp sim and run them in cubase with impulse . should sound awesome .

dont buy these software dude . Lepou is free and the whole rest can be found ( cough T-o-r-r-e-n-t cough ) .

again the stealthplug is only the interfac to connect .. so it cant be good or bad really. its the amp sim your gonnause that gonna be good or bad .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim