Just wondering,
- what are the main differences in terms of playing between a seven-string and a six-string guitar?
- Is a seven-string basically a six-string with an extra string on top?
- Can you play six-string songs on a seven-string by just not using the extra string?
- Would the tunings still be the same from 1st to 6th string, apart from the extra 7th string?
- And lastly, is seven-string guitar used outside of extreme metal?

I'm looking at a new guitar, and I keep seeing seven-strings popping up on ebay searches amongst, and there's just something about the seven-strings - maybe it's the fact that not as many guitarists play them or having an extra string is more visually appealing for some reason - but I can't help but wonder whether it's worth getting a seven-string so I'd have the extra string if I wanted it. I play mostly metalcore rhythm guitar bits, but I wouldn't mind moving into some heavier stuff when my playing abilities suit.

I'm looking at a Schecter or Ibanez 6-string at the mo, any recommendations of seven-strings if it's worth going for one?
while you're at it, which of these two brands has the best lower-to-mid range models, and which models are they??

Cheers
in order: neck width, yes ( a lower tuned B string), yes, yes, yes (jazz)
Quote by staceap
Just wondering,
- what are the main differences in terms of playing between a seven-string and a six-string guitar?
Most notably you'll be playing on a wider, probably thicker neck. If you end up with a locking trem you'll be putting more time into maintaining the instrument.
Pretty much. Adjustments have to be made of course, like (as above) a thicker neck, a different scale length and higher output pickups.
- Can you play six-string songs on a seven-string by just not using the extra string?
Yes.
- Would the tunings still be the same from 1st to 6th string, apart from the extra 7th string?
Yes, by default. It depends entirely on how you tune it...
Yes.

Yup.
schecter vs ibanez is a matter of taste. Ibanez have been making 7s for longer, have thinner necks and imo are easier to play. Schecters have better pickups, usually longer scale lengths, fatter necks, and in terms of very low end guitars give better value for money than ibanez
the thicker neck would only really be a problem if I were using the seventh string, right?
With the locking tremolo thing, I'm pretty keen on avoiding the locking trems, particularly Floyd Roses, so I assume a fixed bridge is best?
thickness is not really a problem, its just a matter of getting used to it. Dont think that it is going to be twice as thick as 6-string
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
nah, I wouldn't think it was that thick. I'll have to go into a music shop and try one out at some point.
Quote by staceap
the thicker neck would only really be a problem if I were using the seventh string, right?

You'll always know that it's wider, you just can't avoid it, but it's not a problem at all once you're used to it and if you're even a half decent player it'll take you all of five minutes to adjust.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by staceap
Just wondering,

The neck is generally wider and thicker, and there's an extra string. I know, it's a lot to take in.
Quote by staceap

Crazy as it sounds, yes! Seven string guitars do have one more string than six!
Quote by staceap

Can you play six-string songs on a six string? Congratulations, you probably answered your own question!
Quote by staceap

That's up to you, bud.
Quote by staceap

Nope.

Now all smartassery aside, hopefully that answered your questions. I know I came across kind of dickish, but it's 7:45am here and I haven't slept for 15 hours and I'm awfully bored.
To everyone talking about 7s having thicker necks, Ibanez prestige 7 strings are 1mm (thats 0.04") thicker than their 6 string counterparts.

In non prestige Ibbys there is no difference in thickness at all between 6 and 7 strings.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yes to everything but the thicker neck question, as Zaphod said it's wider, not thicker. You'll get used to it over time.
As far as low/mid range imma have to toss my vote at Schecter for that.

Also yes, fixed would be best if you're not keen on trems.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Crazy as it sounds, yes! Seven string guitars do have one more string than six!

I Lol'd.

But so far all of these answers are correct.
It was actually a Jazz guitarist who started using a 7 string. He used it in drop A for more chord voicings. I don't remember at all who it was though
Quote by Levi79
I Lol'd.

But so far all of these answers are correct.
It was actually a Jazz guitarist who started using a 7 string. He used it in drop A for more chord voicings. I don't remember at all who it was though

I think it was Tosin Abasi, back sometime around the year 356 B.C.
Quote by gman128
schecter vs ibanez is a matter of taste. Ibanez have been making 7s for longer, have thinner necks and imo are easier to play. Schecters have better pickups, usually longer scale lengths, fatter necks, and in terms of very low end guitars give better value for money than ibanez

As an owner of both an ibanez and a schecter in the same price range, schecter blackjack atx c-1 and an ibanez rga7 this is a pretty accurate description of the two. Switching to a 7 string (one with a good neck) is really easy and in all honesty trying to play standard songs is really easy also and the Low B doesn't get in the way.