I might have to explain further what I'm looking for as far as tone here..

I want something that's REALLY treble-ey as far as tone goes. I describe my music as being "Razor sharp" in the tone.. Meaning LOTS of treble, (without it sounding like a static radio of course)

I'm trying to figure out the best setup
meaning: Guitar (wood and pickup combo.)
I've been looking at a plethora of Gibson Flying V's but I kinda wanna go with a more custom guitar as I have friends who make guitars. And said they'll help me if I ever wanna start building my own. I've been thinking a setup like this: 1 DiMarzio X2n in the bridge, and alder wood.
I'm extremely minimalist. Meaning the less hardware on the guitar for me, the happier I am. 1 pickup and 1 volume knob and possibly a floyd rose is all I need. I feel that the less wiring inside the guitar the less prone the guitar is to signal loss and you get more of a "full tone" out of the guitar. And pff, who needs the neck pickup anyway lol.

Also, I'm looking at what Amp I should possibly get my hands on.
My only thoughts so far is the Peavey 5150
and potential amp settings to work from. I've been playing with a setup like this:
Treble: 9
Mid: 4
Bass: 8
Dist: 10

Feel free to submit your thoughts and ideas!

p.s.
I've only been playing guitar for about a year and a half so I'm not as skilled at knowing what hardware does what in the guitar. I've primarily focused my mind on the playing of the guitar and not as much about different types of guitars themselves.
Lose some of the bass and crank the mids up more. That's why you're not getting the tone that you want. A lot of those older metal bands used marshall amps which are VERY mid-y. And besides, nobody likes a sterile tone, which is what you get with your miss scooped.
I'm FAT!
So have you played the 5150? If so what did you think, if you liked it, get it. Also if you have the option of getting a custom guitar I would be all over that.

btw does anyone think this thread is similar to another?
Quote by tatatotfolife
Lose some of the bass and crank the mids up more. That's why you're not getting the tone that you want. A lot of those older metal bands used marshall amps which are VERY mid-y. And besides, nobody likes a sterile tone, which is what you get with your miss scooped.

I'm getting the tone I want from the settings I have... It's just certain guitars sound better for what I wanna do. I don't like much Mid...

Also, This is my first post on here... I'm sorry if this thread is similar to anyone elses

I'm not looking for the "wall of sound" type of thrash. And it's not the 2 syllables per line type of riffs... I'm looking for something that sounds kinda... NWOBHM-ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTE5OSboxj4 << almost exactly like this!
With 5150 youre going to get wall of sound anyway.

Try something more compressed, tight. That generally means german voiced amps. ENGL, Diezel, DAR etc.

If you decide to go with peavey anyway, turn bass down, it diminishes your highs, mids up or you wont be heard, and gain - its going to be extreme at 6, 10 is just unusuable and insane
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Thanks hr113 I'll take that into consideration. ENGL amps were one of those amps I heard about but don't know anything about... I was either gonna go with Peavey, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, or Krank.

I don't know why you black metalers insist on sounding bad. These budget amps are either dialed in or not. Want a trebley tone? Theres a local band thats grim as shit and they use two XXXs
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
1. Get an EQ pedal(danelectro fish and chips is $30 and worth every penny). Do not continue until you've done this step.
2. You generally want more treble and bass than mids, but not maxed out. Some mids are good for thrash though, but how much depends on the pickup and guitar. You need a 7 band EQ to isolate the mids and adjust accordingly.
3. Turn the distortion down a tiny bit. I've found that max distortion can get way too crispy and trebly. You don't need it so high, you just need a tighter sound. Also, volume is your friend. A quiet amp won't pack the punch you desire for thrash.
4. If the amp isn't working for you, and there's no pedal that does it either(I'm not a pedal guy, so I don't know), look into an amp upgrade.

Other tips: Technique is always important, so always hold yourself to a high standard. Also, try rolling back the tone knob on the guitar about half way and turning up the treble a little on the amp and see how that works out. That may give you more punch.
If you're looking for a guitar with a great deal of high end, try one with a maple body, maple neck and maple or ebony fretboard and high-output pickups such as EMGs or Duncan Blackouts. Except for the active pickups, Carvin would be a great place to start. They'll gladly build you a solid maple Superstrat or Les Paul-style guitar with an ebony fretboard and the craftsmanship is outstanding.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I don't know why you black metalers insist on sounding bad.

I'm looking for a very refined tone.. It doesn't necessarily sound bad. I just prefer the sharpness of the sound they normally use.

W4RP1G: Thanks for the advice. Danelectro Pedals actually sound really good. I have the Fab Metal Distortion. Bought it for 10 bucks... sounds great for what I wanna do

Quote by FatalGear41
high-output pickups such as EMGs or Duncan Blackouts

I'm not the biggest fan of EMG's but those Blackouts kick ass! I was also contemplating dimebuckers

I'd also consider Carvin but they're too... "bluesy" looking of guitars. I was thinking of going to RAN if their prices are just outrageous.

Maple sounds like a great idea!
Quote by Venpresath
I was also contemplating dimebuckers

I'd get more experience with tone before you go looking for high-end amps and custom guitars if you're taking dimebuckers seriously at all. Tone is preference and all but....
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.