The back of this guitar has been brutally murdered with DEEP SCRATCHES (don't ask why). I was wondering if there was still a way to salvage it if i bring it for service, or is it done for good? I know it's just cosmetic but a very special person gave it to me and as much as possible I'd like to have it fixed.

pic attached
Attachments:
pic23.jpg
Last edited by aries87 at Aug 28, 2011,
Just rape the whole guitar with scratches, at least than it doesn't look like an accident. If it's fully raped than you can just say "Oh yeah I like it this way" or some shit like that
Quote by Megadethfan245
Just rape the whole guitar with scratches, at least than it doesn't look like an accident. If it's fully raped than you can just say "Oh yeah I like it this way" or some shit like that

I'm not sure rape is the right word to be using.
The scratches appear to be in the finish only. You might have a repairman look inside with a lighted viewer to see if there's any damage to the wood...
If not, chalk it up to bad luck and keep playing. You can always tell people you were forced to shield yourself from an angry mob by holding your guitar in front of you......
Quote by Bikewer
The scratches appear to be in the finish only. You might have a repairman look inside with a lighted viewer to see if there's any damage to the wood...
If not, chalk it up to bad luck and keep playing. You can always tell people you were forced to shield yourself from an angry mob by holding your guitar in front of you......

Look again at the shadows and you'll see the grain is messed up. To me those look quite deep and would require a lot of work to repair. A quality luthier could replace the back and have it looking like new in short order. Otherwise a filler of some sort is needed and it's fairly difficult to match the graining on something like that.
You could sand it down and fill the scratches with wood filler then essentially paint the back with a paint that matches the apply a few coats of nitrocellulose. Hopefully the guitar is worth. it. Or you can fill the scratches with superglue and sand smooth with finer grades of sand paper then polishing compound.
Last edited by Guitar Hack at Aug 28, 2011,
Dang, it was brutally murdered...I don't think you're fixing that without spending quite a bit of money, but the guitar should be fine otherwise, not like its gonna take away from the playability of the guitar, or the tone...heck, Willy Nelsons guitar has friken holes worn in it, and it still sounds good.
what the hell happened to that anyway?

And as has been said, not fixable unless you refinish, and even then you'd need to fill the scratches with something transparent.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Bikewer
If not, chalk it up to bad luck and keep playing. You can always tell people you were forced to fight against an angry mob by performing double sommersaults and hitting with your guitar in front of you......

fixed.

I'm no expert, but maybe you could sand the area where it's scratched/the whole back until you sand off the whole finish, and then apply new finish/get it applied.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
I have experience with that kind of injuries.
I don't know how much time you need but you can repair with fillers and they are preety cheap...
How often have we chased the dream of progress, only to see that dream perverted?
More often than not, haven't the machines we built to improve life shattered the lives of millions?
And now we want to turn that dream on ourselves, to fundamentally improve who we are.
Experience has shown me how dangerous that can be.
In Bob Erllewine's book "Guitar Player Repair Guide" There'a a technique called Drop filled, where you fill the scratch with super glue, and wet sand flush, as well as other scratch repair tricks. Good luck