I'm looking to add to my amps - I currenlty have a 6505+ 112 and want something with the classic brit metal tone.

I want something that will do Iron Maiden very well and have narrowed it to either the DSL 401 or the JVM 215C. There's approx £250 price difference between the two.

With the choice of those two, what would you go for and why?

The amp is intended for home use only

Thanks
what's your budget?

I'd say something like a laney gh50l if you can do without a dedicated clean channel and can find one at a decent price (laney prices have shot way up recently, they used to be brilliant value )

thomann does the traynor ycv50b which'd probably work too if you'd prefer a combo.

if you can stretch a bit more you have things like splawn, thd flexi, bogner shiva etc. but they're getting into the big money category. or an engl blackmore, for engl's take on it- smoother, more refined, though possibly not quite so authentic if nailing that hot rod marshall tone 100% is what you're after.

if you're looking at marshalls, a lot of people say the dsl heads sound better than the combos- i haven't tried them head to head to be sure (plus you'd need to swap the speaker in the combo, or even try it through the same extension cab), but from trying them on separate occasions, i'd be inclined to agree.

the jvm seems to be a bit love/hate, so just bear that in mind. i thought it was pretty nice for a modern marshall, though personally i still think there are better options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for home use only? do you ever play with a drummer at home?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
lol, no, no drummer at home (although my kid's pestering me to learn).

Volume's not an issue really although it must sound decent low (my 6505 does).

I was really only looking in the Marshall range as I want to get a good maiden tone. As good as other brit amps are, they're not Marshall (naive I know).

I dont have a cab so would need to factor that in if I went for either the dsl 50 (different valves to the 401) or the jvm 205h. I'm not ruling out a head but prefer a combo as they're smaller (I'd put it on top of the peavey).

Budget wise, £1600 is way over budget. Really like the look of the splawn (and fargen stuff) but need to keep in sensible so <1K.
i really am not versed on pricing on your side of the pond. i don't mind the dsl 401, but it can get kinda fizzy if the gain is too high. (personal preference alert).

it has to be a marshall? or would other similarly voice but more reasonably priced amps be an option?

or maybe boost a 1974 (that is a model of an amp, not a year of production) clone?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The DSL401 is the blues amp of the JCM2000 range. They sound best with the gain down and the volume maxed out so you get those EL84's singing.
The Laney suggestions are very good ones. An 18W clone is a great home amp (as long as you don't try to crank it too late at night). Great with a boost in front of them.
What country do you live in? That makes a difference.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 28, 2011,
Quote by -Ed-
I'm looking to add to my amps - I currenlty have a 6505+ 112 and want something with the classic brit metal tone.

I want something that will do Iron Maiden very well and have narrowed it to either the DSL 401 or the JVM 215C. There's approx £250 price difference between the two.

With the choice of those two, what would you go for and why?

The amp is intended for home use only

Thanks

the one with splawn writte on the front of it
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your budget?

I'd say something like a laney gh50l if you can do without a dedicated clean channel and can find one at a decent price (laney prices have shot way up recently, they used to be brilliant value )

thomann does the traynor ycv50b which'd probably work too if you'd prefer a combo.

if you can stretch a bit more you have things like splawn, thd flexi, bogner shiva etc. but they're getting into the big money category. or an engl blackmore, for engl's take on it- smoother, more refined, though possibly not quite so authentic if nailing that hot rod marshall tone 100% is what you're after.

if you're looking at marshalls, a lot of people say the dsl heads sound better than the combos- i haven't tried them head to head to be sure (plus you'd need to swap the speaker in the combo, or even try it through the same extension cab), but from trying them on separate occasions, i'd be inclined to agree.

the jvm seems to be a bit love/hate, so just bear that in mind. i thought it was pretty nice for a modern marshall, though personally i still think there are better options.

In England they're only getting cheaper.
are you talking new or used? I'm talking about the new prices, they shot way up around about a year ago or so (and i mean the UK prices, not just NI).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get the JVM 215C.

I had a DSL 401 once and I wasn't happy with it at all. Very harsh and thin sounding at band volume...... even when it was hooked up to an extension cab.

The DSL 100 head is completely different and sounds a 100 times better in my experience.
To everyone suggesting Splawn: There is not a snowball's chance in hell of him getting one in the UK for under 1000 pounds.

Go for a Laney GH50L or a Marshall JCM 800. The DSL will do well for what you want also.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Have to agree on the splawn/carven/gucci amps. Way too expensive in the uk.

It's also worth noting that as I'm still <2 yrs playing this isn't going to be the last amp.

I've been thinking and may do this in two parts - get a 1936 cab then either the dsl 50 or jvm 205 head
If I get a cab it'll also mean if I spot a cheap laney 2nd hand I can get one in for comparison and relieve my GAS

Reading this and other threads I think the T'internet favours dsl over jvm. My local shop stocks both so I can a/b before I buy.

Thanks folks