Hey.

I couldn't find a good website on this topic using a goggle search, so I came here.
Now when it comes to jazz I've been pretty much entirely exposed to the big band variety - don't get me wrong; I love it and think it's amazing, but there are waaay too many instrument to compose stuff for for a dude at my level (whatever that means lol). I have had to compose stuff for my school (the annual own-composition project), but they've all been small bands (mine has been one of the biggest with 6 people - it was a reggae piece) granted I've achieved A-level marks for my inventions. So - since it would seem that small combos are my thing - I've been looking to compose some small combo jazz pieces. But alas! I have a problem! What instruments to use??

My rhythm section is pretty much fixed: guitar, piano, bass and drums and maybe an auxiliary percussionist (yeah...that's quite a large rhythm section - but then again that's my specialty!)
But now, what horns can I add into the mix? I have options of saxophones (alto, tenor and maybe baritone), trumpets (Bb) and trombones (concert pitch).

So...now that I've waffled quite a lot my question really is what are some popular and/or good small jazz combo combos that consist of 10 or less people? (specifying what instruments are or can be used as well)

Suggestions would be awesome!
Thanks
You can do a small jazz combo with the Rhythm section:
Guitar, Piano, Bass, Drums.

Usually when I compose a small Jazz Combo piece, I have a Sax, Trumpet, and Trombone.

Because, I like the sound of horns :p

But, honestly I try to think of the sound you want, and what instruments best create that sound. When you get that down, choose from there.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
you can use any and all.
a good mix is trumpet, trombone, alto, tenor if you have them available--but really as long as you write it well, it doesn't make a big difference what horns you use.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)