I am buying an HT-5 in the next couple of days. I can also pick up a used Tube Screamer for $25.

My question is, knowing that the HT-5 is a hybrid amp, does an overdrive pedal still have the same effect with the SS preamp section. I have played the HT-5 quite a bit and know that I like the amp, but my local shop doesnt have the pedal.

Anybody have any experience with boosting the signal on hybrid amps. I know that on pure SS amps, OD pedals tend to be less effective and sometimes just add more noise to the signal.
Last edited by leo4sf at Aug 28, 2011,
I had an HT-5 for a while and noticed that boosting the gain channel didn't have much affect. The lower you keep the gain the more effect it should have. But with the gain up a bit the signal is already saturated. $25 is pretty cheap. Is that a TS7?
the tube screamer will tighten up the gain more than anything. and dispite what people on here say it does help with a hybrid amp.
set the controls to:
drive: below 9 oclock
tone: to taste
level: all the way up.

i did the same thing to my randall rh300 hybrid amp. it was quite nice.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Actually is the TS5 with an 808 mod kit installed. Obviously not an 808, but should be good for the price.
I've got an HT-5 and I boost it with an MXR zakk wylde and it definitely adds a bit of boost, I've tried it with a few others as well (boss, marshall, mxr, homemade) and they seem fine. what the above guy said is true.
Without music, life would be a mistake ~ Nietzsche

Ltd F400fm
Acepro AE624 Prs copy
Zakk Wylde: Wah, phase, overdrive
Digitech Whammy
Boss HF-2
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Holy Grail nano
Blackstar HT-5