A tongue-in-cheek inspriational song that discusses great people in history, but also how each person's mother and father fit in that category.

Influences include the Beatles and Simon & Garfunkle (verse), celtic (chorus), and Pink Floyd (bridge guitar, a la Animals and the outro, a la Dark Side of the Moon).

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/logicbdj/music/all/play1038607

WORDS:

Jesus was a preacher,
Sharing his stories of lore.
Disciples abound, he hung around,
When Romans couldn’t take him no more.

Ayn Rand was a thinker,
A spirit in an atheist mind.
She smoked and wrote until she died,
A genius in a moment in time.

Shine on, the beacon’s strong.
You may be dead, but never gone…
Away… not far away.

Deep in the Valley of Death,
Where the sheep are grazing,
Eventually a shepherd will arise,
Someone who’s amazing.

Shine on me,
Shine on us whenever we need…
Inspiration.

Sir Isaac was a dreamer,
But never while lying in bed.
He turned the world upside down,
When an apple dropped on his head.

Mothers and fathers need children,
Teaching while skinning their knees.
We only know what we had,
When embracing old memories.

Shine on, the beacon’s strong.
You may be dead, but never gone…
Away… not far away.

Shine a light on me.
Last edited by logicbdj at Aug 28, 2011,
I like the song; I love literary allusion and the examples you used. That said, I think there are some lines that need work.

Jesus was a preacher,
Sharing his stories of lore.
Disciples abound, he hung around,
When Romans couldn’t take him no more.

I like the first 2 1/2 lines - hung around, take him no more? not so much. You may have to change the word lore to fit your schema.

Ayn Rand was a thinker,
A spirit in an atheist mind.
She smoked and wrote until she died,
A genius in a moment in time.

"Spirit in an atheist mind" great line. "She smoked?" is that important? - I'm sure there are other aspects of this temperamental and fiery woman that can be used.

I love the chorus (especially the nod to Floyd)

Deep in the Valley of Death,
Where the sheep are grazing,
Eventually a shepherd will arise,
Someone who’s amazing.

Pretty subtle & straight forward at the same time. I like it. I'm not loving the word 'amazing' in this context - too trivial for whom you are implying; but that's just me.

Sir Isaac was a dreamer,
But never while lying in bed.
He turned the world upside down,
When an apple dropped on his head.

Last line, maybe not so straightforward this time? "When the apple met his head?" or something like that?

Mothers and fathers need children,
Teaching while skinning their knees.
We only know what we had,
When embracing old memories.

I like the last 2 lines, not so much the first two: technically, children need their parents and the skinning knees image doesn't work for me.

I like your chord changes/progression in the 3rd lines of your verses - very nice. Oh, and thank you for pronouncing Ayn Rand's name correctly
Did you know: animal agriculture contributes more to global warming than all modes of transportation combined? Go Veg - it is the right thing to do for the planet, for your health, and for the animals.

lmcd Soundcloud Tunes
As stated, "tongue-in-cheek" with some of the lines... a bit of goofing off and joking with the serious intention of the concept in question. :-)
I should mention that this song was a 'Scrambled Eggs' inspiration (a la Paul McCartney's Yesterday)... woke up at 4:30 am with this tune in my head, hummed some bars in a recorder and went back to bed. Woke up a few hours later and composed and recorded the entire thing that same day.

Has anyone else had the Scrambled Eggs phenomenon... is it on this site (provide a link)?