I've broken three strings since I put on a new set two weeks ago. I probably break at least one string a month. I've tried switching brands, (I started out with Fender Super Bullets, then Ernie Ball, now Electro-Harmonix), but that doesn't really seem to help. I don't think I'm playing too hard, whenever my strings break it's just when I'm playing power chords. I'm using 9's right now, but if I go to a higher gauge there'll be more tension and I have to adjust the saddles for the intonation. Do I need coated strings or what?

EDIT: it's not the same strings every time, I recently broke my A, but I've broken all of them at least once.
Last edited by Polar13 at Aug 28, 2011,
where are they breaking? at the nut, the bridge or in between?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
There is something wrong with your guitar and/or your technique. I have been playing for 5 years and never, ever broke a string. Not even the high E.
Quote by Dempsey68
where are they breaking? at the nut, the bridge or in between?

I think it's always the bridge.
^Does your guitar have a Floyd rose?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
^Does your guitar have a Floyd rose?

No it has a Strat bridge and the whammy bar isn't set up.
The way that the bridge is grasping the string is off. I havnt checked what your guitar is yet, but a lot of the cheaper bridges will be too sharp where the string makes contact and snap goes the string. Be right back.

Edit: Your guitar is a squier, so the above situation is likely.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 28, 2011,
^^ I would listen to him. I use da'ddario strings too and have never broken a string while playing. Only time i broke one was trying to tune it the first time and i tightened it too far,but that was my first time changing string.
Quote by PeZ546
Damn. I love Austria, it's my favourite place in the world, but they seriously need to nip this 'imprisoning girls in sex-dungeons' thing in the bud..