Can you help me find a tube amp, my budget be £350 arrrgg
Ive only had a peavy solidstate before, i am currently without an amp so am in need of one.
I want to use it primarily as a practise amp but also for jamming and eventually gigging
I play Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Melvins, Pantera, so some bluesy rock and some heavier shizniz too

sorry about another 'find me an amp thread' but i dont know anything about amps, been doing some research but i dont know whats good or not.

Go Go Go!!...
marshall class 5, blackstar ht 5 or studio 20
Last edited by gman128 at Aug 28, 2011,
What tones are most important to you and which ones are secondary? Maybe something like a Laney VC15 or Bugera V22 coupled with a good distortion pedal or boost would work for you.
how flexible is the £350?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Jet City JCA20H 20 watt head. I haven't tried it myself, it seems to be getting good reviews. From the clips I've heard, you can get some great classic rock tones. A distoriton/OD pedal would probably be required for heavier sounds.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
£350 is the most i want to spend but if you can justify an extra £50 go for it. thanks for the suggestions guys keep em coming.
k

traynor ycv50b, maybe? it's around the £400 mark from thomann, depending on the exchange rate (and you'd need to factor in for a british kettle lead).

i'm not sure how it'll handle the pantera, but most amps in your price range won't either. Maybe some of the bugera heads (thomann has some deals on currently, i think), but i haven't tried them, and if they're anything like the peaveys on which they're based, they won't be as good for the classic rock tones. so it's very much a judgement call regarding which tones you're more willing to compromise on. But, based on the ycv40 i've tried (haven't tried the 50, but the 40 looks to be very similar except for different tubes and speaker), it's about the best option for an all-rounder at your price point, out of anything i've tried.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im getting a laney cub 15 which is good fro classic rock stuff...its under your bidget so maybe the vc 15?
I want to able to get a good heavier sound out of it too, the heavier stuff takes priority over the soft rock tones. I like the sound of the peavy 6505 pushing £400 though.
yeah i mean if the heavy stuff is the priority, assuming it sounds like the more expensive US-built versions (I've only tried the US-built versions), then the 6505 is going to be worth a look. It won't do the lower gain tones as well, but that's normally par for the course with most amps, unfortunately, what does one thing better normally does something else worse.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Used ENGL Thunder? Probably the most versatile in the price range. Or maybe a Peavey Vypyr Tube if you don't mind some modelling/digital shiznay.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
The vypyr range is really affordable seems to suit my needs. Might get the vypyr 75 though it isnt tube has good reviews anyone else tried this out? i can get it for £169
Last edited by insushin at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by insushin
The vypyr range is really affordable seems to suit my needs. Might get the vypyr 75 though it isnt tube has good reviews anyone else tried this out? i can get it for £169

With that budget go for the Vypyr Tube or none of them.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by robbo546hall
With that budget go for the Vypyr Tube or none of them.

You think so? if i get the 75 i can also afford the sanpera pedal to go with it. What does anyone else know about this amp series?
Quote by insushin
You think so? if i get the 75 i can also afford the sanpera pedal to go with it. What does anyone else know about this amp series?
Everyone I've spoke to about the Vypyr range loves them.
Personally I'm not into reading manuals and all that modelling stuff.
Quote by insushin

It's a pretty good modeling amp.

But it's still not a tube amp.

And there IS a noticeable difference.

Any chance you can go and try them?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin