Hey guys.

So this is going to sound quite silly to most of you. I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now and I am quite knowledgible about several different companies, their specs, what music they are best for, and basically what the fuss is about them.

One thing I never took the time to look into is Gibson Les Paul Customs. No doubt probably the most expensive guitars on the markets (competeing with PRS I suppose). The thing is I never really understood why.

Comparing them to standard Gibson Les Paul's, they just look a lot shinier and sleeker and have different design fretboard inlays. I know these guitars are one of those guitars that "last a lifetime" so I know I am getting good quality. I just want to know what I'm paying the extra 2 grand for.

I guess this doesn't only reply for Les Pauls. SG's and ES series too. Can someone explain this to me? If you think it's a noob thing to ask, well you're right, but please just answer instead of trolling :P
Last edited by bluntorc at Aug 28, 2011,
Uhh.. They're made of really high quality wood, unlike the lower case Gibson models are made of little lower quality woods.

Anyway, I've played nearly for like 1½ years, got myself a Gibson LP Studio last month, never regretted the purchase. This guitar plays really nice, the neck feels it's nearly the "perfect fit" even though some think it's far too thick.

And musically for the best.. There isn't really such a guitar or at least I don't believe it's so. I can play death metal as well with my Gibson as with a Jackson RR24 or other extreme "metal" guitar. Just to say an example, Gibson Flying V is used in death metal and blues.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Aug 28, 2011,
they are made with more care and expertise than other Gibson models. they have higher quality parts that other Gibson models and they retain their value more that other Gibson models. they have higher quality finishes than other Gibson models. some custom Gibson's have finishes/designs that are exclusive to the custom range.

now whether or not you think it is worth money is up to you. if i was going to buy one, it'd be used. for 4000$ i could just make my own custom guitar.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
they are made with more care and expertise than other Gibson models. they have higher quality parts that other Gibson models and they retain their value more that other Gibson models. they have higher quality finishes than other Gibson models. some custom Gibson's have finishes/designs that are exclusive to the custom range.

now whether or not you think it is worth money is up to you. if i was going to buy one, it'd be used. for 4000$ i could just make my own custom guitar.

Yeah, I was going to say that too. You should not really buy a new one. Used guitar is aged well (depending how old it is of course) and lets you save a lot of money. You can get your own custom from various brands with that kind of money, like jimihendrix6699 stated.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

When it comes to Customs, I think you're paying a lot for name and prestige. I totally believe that Standards and such are worth the price tag, but once you get past a certain point, I find it hard to believe that woods and parts are THAT much better.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by bluntorc
No doubt probably the most expensive guitars on the markets (competeing with PRS I suppose).

Hardly.

If you're looking into buying a Les Paul Custom new, you might as well look into custom shop companies, because you're going to be able to create exactly what you want, for about the same price, and in some cases, less.

Most of the price tag on the Les Paul Custom is because you're paying for the name. Last time I checked, the Customs were weight-relieved (chambered), which I really don't like at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I didn't necessarily imply that I wanted to purchase one, personally anything about $2000 is ludacris for me. I just wanted to know what all the extra money you spend was for.

Basically all the extra money is for better quality, more care, and prestige? Honestly that doesn't go well with me. You can get a custom guitar of your own and care for it more than any Gibson manufacturer can. I don't see the point of spending a lot of cash on a guitar for its prestige.

What about the better quality? I thought most Gibsons were made as full Mahogany
I wouldn't say you get better quality at all. I bought a Gibson Custom Shop guitar that cost ~$9000 new and shipped it across seas to a friend in Russia and when he went to adjust the truss rod a tiny little bit, the neck broke in half from a factory defect that is present in quite a few Gibsons. I will never buy a newer Gibson because of that again.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ain't that some shitty luck. I doubt a lot of them are like that though, Gibson is known for their great quality guitars (GIBSON that is, not companies owned by Gibson)
Quote by bluntorc
Ain't that some shitty luck. I doubt a lot of them are like that though, Gibson is known for their great quality guitars (GIBSON that is, not companies owned by Gibson)

It's not super common, but it does happen quite often. It's been a known defect in their guitars for quite a few years and, to my knowledge, they haven't done anything to fix it.

Though it's not due to the truss rod... the headstock will even snap off them if your guitar is in its case and it falls from an upright position (it is/was even stated in the manuals that come with them). So much for the protection of a case.

Even so, the truss rod thing isn't SUPER common, but the fact that it happened on a Custom Shop model and not a Studio, where I'd expect certain defects, makes me think the guys in the Custom Shop don't know what the hell they're doing; and they will never receive any money from me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 28, 2011,
Les Paul Customs and Gibson Custom Shop guitars are two different things. A Les Paul Custom has solid mahogany body (no maple cap), ebony fingerboard, different pickups and special inlays. I know they've changed them over recent years but this is what used to set them apart.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Quote by Dilberto
Les Paul Customs and Gibson Custom Shop guitars are two different things.

I'm pretty sure no one said they were the same...?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I see all these youtube virtuosos all rockin' all black shiny les paul customs with gold humbuckers and I'm like damn if so many people have them they must be worth the hype/cash
Quote by bluntorc
I see all these youtube virtuosos all rockin' all black shiny les paul customs with gold humbuckers and I'm like damn if so many people have them they must be worth the hype/cash

Nope. It's just cool to have a Les Paul.

They're also overcompensating for their small penis size.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Nope. It's just cool to have a Les Paul.

They're also overcompensating for their small penis size.

This

( love les pauls)
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
This

( love les pauls)

+1 that's why I have a cheap Les Paul and no mixers.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1 that's why I have a cheap Les Paul and no mixers.

Thats why i have a FAKE Les Paul and a zoom H4
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
one thing i have noticed about my gibsons (lower end) is that they are very sensitive to temp/humidity compared to any of the other 50 or so guitars i have owned in the last eight years.

i was just wondering MC if you friend in russia let the temp/atmosphere change too quickly, i do not know much about Russia, but i do know quite a few areas are very cold. if he were to take it off of his door step and bring it in the house, take it out of packaging, tune it up and adjust the truss rod, who knows what could happen. i live in florida and if i bring one of my Gibbys out of my 70* house into 90-95* whether and high humidity for more than a little while, alot changes.

just a shot in the dark, but i thought it may be worth posting.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
one thing i have noticed about my gibsons (lower end) is that they are very sensitive to temp/humidity compared to any of the other 50 or so guitars i have owned in the last eight years.

i was just wondering MC if you friend in russia let the temp/atmosphere change too quickly, i do not know much about Russia, but i do know quite a few areas are very cold. if he were to take it off of his door step and bring it in the house, take it out of packaging, tune it up and adjust the truss rod, who knows what could happen. i live in florida and if i bring one of my Gibbys out of my 70* house into 90-95* whether and high humidity for more than a little while, alot changes.

just a shot in the dark, but i thought it may be worth posting.

Nope, it was in the case at his house for over a week before he ever adjusted anything. We ended up contacting Gibson, they admitted it was a factory flaw, had nothing to do with the way it was handled. Such a shame too, it was a beautiful guitar, but after that happened, he had it repaired and sold it. Because of what happened, he didn't want a Gibson anymore
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Nope, it was in the case at his house for over a week before he ever adjusted anything. We ended up contacting Gibson, they admitted it was a factory flaw, had nothing to do with the way it was handled. Such a shame too, it was a beautiful guitar, but after that happened, he had it repaired and sold it. Because of what happened, he didn't want a Gibson anymore

damn. that absolutely sucks. i have heard of that happening, but thought there could be a potential of post manufacturer (owner human) error.

i know gibsons headstocks are prone to breaking, but a while ago it seemed like a lot of ibanez wizzard necks were breaking and everybody was raging about it. i guess i could understand the wizzards because they are so thin, and gibsons because they want to keep it one piece instead of doing a scarf joint.

i have a 1980 Gibson Sonex that had a broken neck at the at that was professionally repared (probably happened 10-20 years ago) that plays like butter. it needs to be refretted though. thats why i only paid $200. it plays nice now, but would do a lot better with the refret.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The biggest practical difference between the Les Paul Custom and the Standard (and other) Les Paul series is that the Custom has an ebony fretboard. That adds a lot to the cost; ebony being more difficult to work and selling wholesale for almost twelve times the price of good rosewood. It also makes the tone brighter, which some people don't like.

The rest of the guitar is a fancier version of the Les Paul series. It has multilayer binding on both the front, back and headstock; compared to the single-ply binding on only the front of the guitar's body on the Standard series. It has gold-plated hardware rather than nickel-plated hardware on the other models. It has elaborate mother-of-pearl inlay in the headstock and block inlays in the fretboard. It is a beautiful guitar, to be sure. Ironically, the better grade maple tops went to the Standards, as the Custom was for a long time offered only with a solid color finish. It did not need a fancifully figured top because no one would ever see it.

Gibson has made other Les Pauls and SGs with ebony fretboards, block mother of pearl inlays and gold-plated hardware; each with a corresponding increase in the price. The Les Paul Custom suffered a price increase a few years back because it is now made in Gibson's Custom Shop, rather than as a standard production item.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
i payed $900 aus dollars for a Gibson LP 1974 custom.......

Although it was back in 1979 whoops 1981 my bad..... hahaha
Last edited by Talon64 at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Hardly.

If you're looking into buying a Les Paul Custom new, you might as well look into custom shop companies, because you're going to be able to create exactly what you want, for about the same price, and in some cases, less.

Most of the price tag on the Les Paul Custom is because you're paying for the name. Last time I checked, the Customs were weight-relieved (chambered), which I really don't like at all.

Most Customs are not chambered. There are a couple exceptions, but the majority of them have no weight relief whatsoever. They actually weigh the wood and if it weighs less than a certain amount, they don't use it for a Custom. They're pretty particular with Customs. Is it worth $4000? That I don't know.. but I know they aren't cheap to make, and they take lots of time to finish. I'd say the price is so high because of the quality of the wood and how long they take to finish. Lots of labor goes into a Custom.

Customs are also currently the only Gibsons with ebony boards. Might be an exception or two, but the ebony boards aren't used nearly as much as they used to be.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Aug 29, 2011,
the present day custom is still considered by many to be the most prestigious production level guitar gibson manufactures.

a greater amount of cost goes into the materials used, and the labor it takes to construct them.

that's their story, and they are sticking to it.

edit: modern customs are weight relieved, they are not chambered. big difference.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Sakke
Yeah, I was going to say that too. You should not really buy a new one. Used guitar is aged well (depending how old it is of course) and lets you save a lot of money. You can get your own custom from various brands with that kind of money, like jimihendrix6699 stated.

this. if you want one buy it used.

theres a normal LPC and a 57 RI at a local store, 2800 and 2900$ after taxes, where one brand new after taxes is 4300$. the used ones are from like 08 latest and are dead mint condition.

but if youre in that price range, you have to check out PRS, i originally wanted an LPC but after playing a custom 24, i put a down payment on the PRS.
I probably paid too much for this one... $2000 used.... But I don't care... AFAIC it's worth every penny.

Sounds amazing. Has a very luxurious smooth uptown feel to it. Weights about 9.5 lbs.

A used Les Paul Standard (not chambered) that is in good condition and plays well might be a cost-effective option for you. I have an early 90's ebony standard and find it to be quite good. The custom is certainly appealing but you could buy a lot of extra gear for the $1000 you save if you find a good standard.
I'd remove the pickguard, I love the look of a Les Paul with no pickguard
Quote by nonjonron
A used Les Paul Standard (not chambered) that is in good condition and plays well might be a cost-effective option for you. I have an early 90's ebony standard and find it to be quite good. The custom is certainly appealing but you could buy a lot of extra gear for the $1000 you save if you find a good standard.

where are standards $1000 less than customs used?

closer to a $500 difference really.

nice custom dcooper.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.