Just wondering if old Fender Utahs are decent speakers (and by that I mean better than what are in, say, a Frontman) and if they would pair decently with a Marshall-type sound (Blackheart handsome devil).

Thanks!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Just wondering if old Fender Utahs are decent speakers (and by that I mean better than what are in, say, a Frontman) and if they would pair decently with a Marshall-type sound (Blackheart handsome devil).

Thanks!

Utahs were not the 'top of the line' speakers for fender. oxfords, utahs (and some consider CTS) to be kinda the budget speakers for fender outta that era. JBL's and jenson where considered the 'upgraded' or 'upper-end' speakers.

that being said, i really like some of their 'budget' speakers from back in the day. cts speakers are one of my favs. i ran across a cool 2x12 fender cab from later 60's with a set of utahs in them, but unfortunately they were blown out so i don't know what utahs really sound like.

i'd imagine they'd sound pretty good with a blackheart. if you really want something 'british' sounding to go with the black heart though then i'd just load it with a G12M-25/greenback copy. weber makes a good one, eminence has one, scumback does alnico versions, or you can just a get a real used celestion G12M-25.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
utahs are some of the best they have ever had.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
utahs are some of the best they have ever had.

you liked them? i hear lots of people talking shite about em. i was hoping to actually play them when my buddy got that cab to find out myself.

edit: oh yeah. utah became pyle later on (pyle of the orange basket, radio shack store speaker fame). no one likes pyle speakers except derrick trucks... go figure.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 28, 2011,
it sounded great in the old pro i played the other day. it was a 15".

i quite liked it but then again i like things a lot of people don't. it was pretty bright for a 15 inch speaker, but i attributed that to the old fender pushing it. and i like bright fenders.

oxfords on the other hand, i would use as door stops or wheel chocks.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
cool, 15's are nifty.

different strokes. w/e, i am gonna what to play a set before i make up my mind. i am still willing to believe they'll sound fine with the blackheart (if not optimal).

-ae
Alright sweet. It isn't completely necessary. I have a Blackheart 1x12 sitting at home that I can use, but it's only $100 on the local CL where I'm going to school.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray