Hi, I have a les paul standard and I plan to swap out the pickups as I find that the stock pickups sound dull, particularly the neck which gets muddy when playing distorted chords and such, I also find the cleans to be very dull and lack brightness and clarity. I am aiming to be able to get led zep and GnR sounds.

The guitar has quite a poor set up aswell and i was wondering if this may be causing some of the problems?

Anyway my main question is have any of you had experience with tone rider pickups, how much difference will it make to my sound, how much difference is there between say tonerider and seymour duncan pickups and should i replace the rest of the electrics at the same time as pickups?

Thankyou, sorry for my lack of knowledge. Oh and I have a budget of £100 playing through a fender ultimate chorus.
I haven't tried tonerider, but I have two irongear pickups in my epiphone les paul, and they are absolutely amazing, I got the pickups for £52 in total and they rival the sound out of my gibson sg. In case you're interested I have the rolling mill and the hot slag pickups. You should really check those out too (unless you have no intention of getting anything other than tonerider)
Not expierienced tonriders myself. Another great value pickup is irongear. I have a dirty torque in the bridge and a blues engine in the neck of my ESP Eclipse I CTM and its awesome:

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_042.htm

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_016.htm
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Quote by slashfan226
I haven't tried tonerider, but I have two irongear pickups in my epiphone les paul, and they are absolutely amazing, I got the pickups for £52 in total and they rival the sound out of my gibson sg. In case you're interested I have the rolling mill and the hot slag pickups. You should really check those out too (unless you have no intention of getting anything other than tonerider)

Ha. just a minuite apart
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
I have a Tonerider Chorus pedal, it's real good quality, as are their other pedals apparently. I don't know a lot on their pickups, but if their pedals are anything to go by, you probably won't be dissapointed!

From their soundclips and stuff they do sound good!

Though if it's a toss up between Tonerider and some place like Seymour Duncan I'd probably go with the more reputable company.
If you look at the irongear website there are loads of buyer reviews about them, and all of them say they're great pickups and some claim they can even stand up to seymour duncans.
And when they're generally about £24 per pickup, you can't really go wrong with them.
They offer a wide range of pickups and some seriously solid pickups for your genres. As I mentioned earlier, I bought an iron mill for the neck, and a hot slag in the bridge for guns n roses and similar bands and it meets my needs perfectly.