Hi all,

So I have a Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube 80W amp. On the back, there are two jacks, one says "Speaker Simulated Direct Output" and has a volume knob attached to it. I used that a few times to plug another amp into my set up because it had an MP3 in on it.

Anyway,
The other jack says "External Speaker" and has 100W and 20V RMS below that. And under that it says "MIN. 8OHM LOAD," which I'm assuming is "minimum 8ohm load."

I've been curious, and looking at some cabs, considering a 1x12, maybe a 2x12. But how do I know if a cab can handle the output, or if the output is too weak?

Thanks!
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
The other jack says "External Speaker" and has 100W and 20V RMS below that. And under that it says "MIN. 8OHM LOAD," which I'm assuming is "minimum 8ohm load."

yup, thats what it means. you need to plug a speaker cabinet into that jack that is rated for at least 8 ohms.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I've been curious, and looking at some cabs, considering a 1x12, maybe a 2x12. But how do I know if a cab can handle the output, or if the output is too weak?

Thanks!

the cab would need to be rated for 100 watts or more in order to be used [worry free] with your amp. you'll actually be a little hard pressed to find guitar speakers rated for over 100 watts (eminence actually has quite a few but most companies seem to have lower power handling speakers). a 2x12 would give you a bit more flexibility as to what speakers you could choose from.

as far as the output 'being too weak', that is not overly a concern. most guitar speakers have a sensitivity of around 95 to 101 dB and while that probably doesn't mean much to you, just know that ratings like that make for plenty speakers.

if you want recommendations then check this thread out

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

and post back
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Thanks a lot, it makes a lot more sense.

Peavey use to make a matching 1x12 cabinet for the Bandit, which is why I was considering the 1x12.

Also, would the speaker in the amp still make noise with a cab connected to it?
The one jack is an emulated line out for running to a mixer instead of mic'ing your speaker or into a computer interface for recording (basically its supposed to emulate the sound of your amp running through the stock speaker).

The other one, as gumbi mentioned, is an 8 ohm speaker jack. You want to connect a cab rated at least 8 ohms and at least 100 watts. There are some speakers out there rated at 100 watts or more (I know my Ashdown speakers are 120 each, as gumbi said Eminence makes some, I think Celestion makes a 120 watt speaker but IIRC its specific to a certain amp company).

Depending on what you're wanting as far as tone, you could go with a 2x12 or a 4x12 (which some people claim is unnecessary, but personally I love the tone and feel of a 4x12 over a 2x12). If you're playing a lot of cleans and would like a fat, punchy tone I've always found that 1x15s work great for that (and I know some people that use 2x15s).
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Thanks a lot, it makes a lot more sense.

Peavey use to make a matching 1x12 cabinet for the Bandit, which is why I was considering the 1x12.

Also, would the speaker in the amp still make noise with a cab connected to it?

It depends on the amp, not familiar with how the Bandit operates though. Some amps are wired to disconnect the internal speaker when an external speaker is plugged in and some amps keep the internal speaker running.
Alright, thanks. Yeah I think for my situation that a 4x12 would be a little overkill. It's only a solid state amp, and I was just considering, if I ever needed a cab for playing louder (however, this amp is too loud for most gigs about 3 o'clock), and I don't have enough money to upgrade the whole amp.

I would think that the amp keeps channeling sound through the main speaker, considering I have seen older models with 1x12 cabs. I can't imagine there would be a point to having a 1x12 cab if you have an amp that is also a 1x12.

Thanks for the help, guys.