Okay, I'm phased by the amount of distortion pedals on the market... I've got one that covers all my classic rock needs and another for anything in need of high gain.

But I'm totally lost now. I want something that'll cover punk (sex pistols), pop punk (green day), maybe some grunge (nirvana) and alternative like Feeder and Placebo.

Preferably I'd like 1 pedal to cover these, and as cheap as possible. I've been told that Boss do some good distortion/overdrive pedals and apparently the Ibanez Tubescreamers are good aswell...

But anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Help doesn't include slating the fact that I'd like to play some pop punk
Amp?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
What you really need is a new amp.

(what amp, pedal do you have currently?)
WTLTL 2011
pop punk usually uses medium gain such as jcm900, or bugera 1990, sometimes don't need od

similar level pedals would be
dirty bomb
crunch box
catalinbread dls
wampler plextortion
The Elements looks to have a wide range

ocd, box or rock, may be too low gain of marshally
Look for an old DOD Grunge pedal, you can probably find one on ebay for <$50.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
A Boss DS-1 will do perfectly. Kurt Cobain actually used it. I use one with my overdrive channel on my amp and both of them together gives a great thickening sound. You won't be disappointed.
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
Quote by habbalock
A Boss DS-1 will do perfectly. Kurt Cobain actually used it. I use one with my overdrive channel on my amp and both of them together gives a great thickening sound. You won't be disappointed.

If you don't plan on modding it a DS-1 is a horrible idea. I had one and I think it would have sounded better if I had plugged into my garbage can for distortion instead. Naming your amp would be really helpful because distortion pedals can sound different though different amps.
Quote by Lord_Doku
The entire Spider line sounds like a trashcan getting humped by a fire truck while it's in the garbage disposal unit.

Quote by Kelly55
anal is quite the experience
Quote by 3456yh
If you don't plan on modding it a DS-1 is a horrible idea. I had one and I think it would have sounded better if I had plugged into my garbage can for distortion instead. Naming your amp would be really helpful because distortion pedals can sound different though different amps.
pedal

Fender Ultimate Chorus 130 watt 2x12 combo. I compromise the pedal and the gain channel both to get a beefy sound. With the DS-1 on the clean channel it sounds like sh**. I was disappointed at first when I bought it. And yes!! I am planning on sending my DS-1 to PepTone to get it modified cause hell it will sound much better
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
what amp do you have .. nothing will help you if you play through a modeler or cheap solid state amp .

good distortion pedal are meant to be use with tube amp . unless they wont sound good .

i second the mi audio crunch box .. cause its basically a jcm in a box .. does the british high gain crunch wonderfully .

but nirvana sound is a combinaison of a good tube power amp with distortion pedal and a slight touch of fuzz to give a dirty sound .

btw .. thats the exact music i play and the crunch box through a tube power amp sound wonderful .

if you like pop-punk i dont even think theyre better than british type distortion ( marshall ) .. so the crunch box is wonderful * for older green day ( dookie , imsoniac , kerplunk era ) .

good luck .

if you have crappy amp than nothing can help ya sorry .

if you need a crunch box . .i have one for sale as i dont use any amp in my bedroom these days .. it kills me to sell it .. but its no use now that i play a multi effect with headphone in my bedroom .

*** dont buy any Ds-1 or turbo disortion ds-2 thinking is what cobain uses .. they both suck IMO . ive had both . get something good . Boss disortion pedal s*uck IMO ( ok IMO all boss pedal suck but dont wanna start a feud ) . get something decent .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Aug 28, 2011,
When is he gonna reply?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
my mate got one of those white face Rat reissues and it sounds AMAZING. will defintaely work for those sort of tones. you can also use the regular Rat which is also pretty good.
The Sex Pistols tone is just a cranked Fender Twin with the amps normal distortion. This is actually true of most punk (and pop punk) in general, just amps cranked up all the way. For Ramones, Green Day, Blink, Clash (Mick Jones, not Joe Strummer; Strummer played mostly clean on Solid States), or any generic pop punk band, just crank up a JCM 800. So basically, don't count on getting true punk tones from a stompbox.

For Nirvana/Grunge though, everyone says Boss DS-1 but I'd look for something (read: anything) else. Modern DS-1s suck. If you're not too bad with a soldering iron, you could try a BYOC Orange Box, which are clones of the 80s-era DS-1, but you have to build it yourself.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Sorry I haven't replied yet and I play through a Fender FM212, thanks for all of the positive replies too

Edit: I'm investing in a VHT super 6 in a couple of months, would this be better?
Last edited by Insanity ninja at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by Skysc
what amp do you have .. nothing will help you if you play through a modeler or cheap solid state amp .

good distortion pedal are meant to be use with tube amp . unless they wont sound good .

i second the mi audio crunch box .. cause its basically a jcm in a box .. does the british high gain crunch wonderfully .

but nirvana sound is a combinaison of a good tube power amp with distortion pedal and a slight touch of fuzz to give a dirty sound .

btw .. thats the exact music i play and the crunch box through a tube power amp sound wonderful .

if you like pop-punk i dont even think theyre better than british type distortion ( marshall ) .. so the crunch box is wonderful * for older green day ( dookie , imsoniac , kerplunk era ) .

good luck .

if you have crappy amp than nothing can help ya sorry .

if you need a crunch box . .i have one for sale as i dont use any amp in my bedroom these days .. it kills me to sell it .. but its no use now that i play a multi effect with headphone in my bedroom .

*** dont buy any Ds-1 or turbo disortion ds-2 thinking is what cobain uses .. they both suck IMO . ive had both . get something good . Boss disortion pedal s*uck IMO ( ok IMO all boss pedal suck but dont wanna start a feud ) . get something decent .

Whereabouts are you located and how much do you want for the pedal?
the digitech GRUNGE i hear is cheap and if its an x series itll have at least 5 different grunge sounds. I think you can get it used for like 35 dllrs
Fender US Strat-Fender MX Strat-Fender US Tele-Epiphone Sheraton II>Cry Baby Wah-Boss TU3-Nano clean boost-Boss SD1-BBE Green Screamer-Mxr '78 Distortion-Visual Sound Chorus-Digitech Digi Delay-HardWire RV7 Reverb-Digitech Jamman>Fender Frontman 212R
If you can get an old Rat, get it. The distortion on them is very amp-like. The old MXR Distortion + also does amp-like distortion that's great for punk tones. The new one is garbage, though, so don't get that.
Yeah a proco rat should be able handle this
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by Insanity ninja
I was thinking of getting a rat and then getting a Keeley mod for it?

No. Just find an old blackface Rat. Or else, save up and get the whiteface reissue. They're amazing.