how did guitarist learn how to play songs?

i mean the internet wasnt around so how did they learn cover songs and such?

did they use auidobooks? or dd they play by ear or somthing?
Learned by ear most likely, experimented while listening to the song and eventually found the right notes to play.
Mostly they'd learn them by ear I'm sure. If a band was popular enough they might get to see them on TV and then in the days of vcr's record those tv appearances I'm sure. Other than that some really famous artists like The Beatles and Hendrix might have had books published with transcriptions.

By and large it was by ear tho I'd assume.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
By ear, like should should still try to now. TABs are good when you can't figure out a certain part of a song, or don't really care about developing your ear and just wanna play.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
they'd just listen to the song over and over again until they worked it out, but you gotta remember they listened to it on vinyls where you could select the speed and slowing it down although bringing it all down an octave but still easy to learn.
im actually trying to learn a song by ear, but i compeltey failed at smoke on the water with it :/ i had resources to check if i had a part right and i failed..over and over and over again, so in retrospect i learn the song on the tab not my ears, which i was trying my best at :/, i wish i could select the speeds out of the songs on my ozzys cds lol
Ear most likely. It's still fun to learn that way. Feels more satisfying.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
Ear most likely. It's still fun to learn that way. Feels more satisfying.

yah thats route im trying to take, i think im going to get audicity or somthing to slow down songs, so i can learn fro ear, and i totaly know what you mean, reading from tabs is......boring.
Quote by GibsonMan321
By ear, like should should still try to now. TABs are good when you can't figure out a certain part of a song, or don't really care about developing your ear and just wanna play.

Yeah, I rarely use tab, and I think I'm a much more versatile and inventive player because of it.
Dude, where's my band?