Hey guys,

I know you guys have probably been asked this before but I couldn't find what I was looking for with search so I'll risk asking again...

I'm looking for a good string VST, not like Philharmonik or East West or whatever, no symphony, but strings that don't have the dynamics where they slowly build volume. I want a flat volume level that I can record with. Some examples of what I'm looking for are in Chthonic's song "49 Theurgy Chains" or Rammstein's "Mein Teil". I have been using Philharmonik but I haven't been able to get it to where theres a flat volume, theres always this swell and its very awkward when i switch chords and have to rebuild volume.

Cubase' HalionONE has a preset called Big Symphony Strings that I like, but I don't want to drop 600$ on what is essentially one VST preset because I'm very happy with Reaper, so any suggestions you could give out would be amazing.

Thanks in advance,
Zeke
I use Superwave P8, I use the bright strings and octave strings presets which works very well for what I do (80s hair metal) It was the best synth VST that I could find

Hope that helps you out some
Wow, free too? I'll try it out right away, I'll let you know what I think.
Definitely a great VST, will be keeping it for future use. But the string sounds, the bright and octaves, were way too digital, I felt way too 80s when I tried it out, haha. I still want that realistic string sound but when I record, for example, chords, theres always a dip in volume when I switch strings, which is what I'm trying to avoid. The volume on the Superwave P8 is definitely what I'm looking for but the sound isn't.
Quote by FireHawk
Just take a VST with good strings and adjust the attack?

That's what I wanted to do. I own the Miroslav Philharmonik and I've adjusted as much as I could and I can't get it to where the volume doesn't swell. I am aware of the attack, if anyone has any experience in this VST and knows how to do this let me know...
Unable to help with soft instruments for it, but are you sure you don't mean "Mein Hertz Brennt" for the Rammstein song? Don't recall strings in Mein Teil...
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Yeah, I'd be interested also in a free VST with a good decent string sound
The symphonizer
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Unable to help with soft instruments for it, but are you sure you don't mean "Mein Hertz Brennt" for the Rammstein song? Don't recall strings in Mein Teil...

Yes, exactly!!!!!!

The Cubase HalionONE VST has a nice one but I haven't been able to find anything like it. The philharmonik is good but there is, as I said, that dynamic problem where it isn't always full, like in that song
Quote by zeke8402
Definitely a great VST, will be keeping it for future use. But the string sounds, the bright and octaves, were way too digital, I felt way too 80s when I tried it out, haha. I still want that realistic string sound but when I record, for example, chords, theres always a dip in volume when I switch strings, which is what I'm trying to avoid. The volume on the Superwave P8 is definitely what I'm looking for but the sound isn't.

That's why I use it, for the 80's sound, haha. Sorry the program didn't work out for what you needed man, hope I helped out atleast a little bit!

Good luck finding a good VST!
I wish there was a hands on omnisphere demo because I was hearing things from it that might be what I'm looking for, I just want that power metal kind of string synth
Omnisphere is the RAM eater of all the vsti out there (less than Ozone 4 though). Omnisphere's presets are pretty complex by themselves so you would be stuck with having to create individual patches yourself.
Do you think you could name some VST packs off the top of your head? The only ones I know are Omnisphere and HalionONE. I really like HalionONE (especially the preset I was talking about earlier) but it can't be used outside of Cubase to my knowledge. Are there any other big synth packs you know of that I could try out? I'm bound to find what I'm looking for in those.

Native Instruments has a free version of Kontakt 5 out today so I'm gonna download that and try it, I'm so new to this I'm not even sure I'm downloading the right thing, but we shall see.

To recap anyone who wants to help that might be lost on what I'm looking for, it's a string synth VSTi that would go good with metal, like Chthonic, Winds of Plague, Rammstein, etc. I have Miroslav Philharmonik but thats more orchestra and I can't adjust the attack to have a constant volume so theres always a swell, thanks.
Quote by Tracii Lee
That's why I use it, for the 80's sound, haha. Sorry the program didn't work out for what you needed man, hope I helped out atleast a little bit!

Good luck finding a good VST!

Hey Tracii, I just tried the Superwave on my stuff just to see how it sounded, and I think it sounds pretty good! I recorded an excerpt if you want to listen, I'm still not sure if its good enough to keep using in this type of music, but it is definitely a suitable replacement until I can find something to take over, heres the link

http://www.mediafire.com/?apuqfo2waatr9ni

I think the 80s style kinda gets drowned in the distortion so the string sound is more prominent.
Quote by zeke8402
Hey Tracii, I just tried the Superwave on my stuff just to see how it sounded, and I think it sounds pretty good! I recorded an excerpt if you want to listen, I'm still not sure if its good enough to keep using in this type of music, but it is definitely a suitable replacement until I can find something to take over, heres the link

I think the 80s style kinda gets drowned in the distortion so the string sound is more prominent.

Wow the sound of it is amazing

With a little eq you can get it to sound less 80's.
The symphonizer
Cheeze Machine - Strings synth
Cheeze Machine emulates the classic string ensemble sound, made popular by such classic synths as the Crumar Performer or the Arp Solina.

* saw-like waveform
* chorus ensemble emulator
* 6-stages phaser
* reverb
DSK virtuoso is fantastic
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Oh wow, these seem promising, I'll post my thoughts when I get a chance to check these out. You guys have been super helpful, thanks again!
Quote by zeke8402

Wow, that does sound pretty good! Actually all of it sounds pretty good, really polished sounding mix. I haven't messed with the controls on the presets, but I imagine you could edit the patches to get it closer to what you want, if you can't find another VST that gets you closer