I've never really listened to much Eagels, James Gang, or Walsh - I knew all of their popular songs but never really paid attention to the tone.

I don't know, his tone is simple and not overly unique, but there's something about it that just hits me in the right spot.

In these two songs in particular -

Life in the Fast Lane
Funk #49

How could I achieve that ridiculously crispy, chunky, and perfectly fuzzy tone?

Amps? Guitars? Pedals? I am open to every and any suggestion.
Last edited by kashmir0109 at Aug 28, 2011,
Life in the fast Lane is an old Eventide Harmonizer. Old Les Paul as well. I have a '59 Les Paul as well as a '60 (Both standards).

The new Gibsons suck but if you want a great guitar go buy one of those originals and you'll see what a real guitar plays/sounds like.
pretty sure that he used a LP into a marshall for Funk 49. joe is very underated as a player. one of our local classic rock stations has a program director that is a walsh freak so we hear lots of joe walsh here.
Quote by e-taubs
Life in the fast Lane is an old Eventide Harmonizer. Old Les Paul as well. I have a '59 Les Paul as well as a '60 (Both standards).

The new Gibsons suck but if you want a great guitar go buy one of those originals and you'll see what a real guitar plays/sounds like.

Are the LP reissues good?
Quote by e-taubs

you have a real 59 and 60 LP?
The reissue Historics are ok. The crappy ones that cost about $2000 are not even Made in USA. Henry J himself in his speach the other day said the fret boards are made in India.The real ones are what you want. Yes, I have a 59 and 60. Also have a 55 and some others.
Last edited by e-taubs at Aug 28, 2011,
actually, i think they just get the wood for the fretboards from India. I could be mistaken though. Also, about your Les Pauls, Pics or it didn't happen :P I think we would all like to know how you obtained them as well haha
Quote by shecter guy
actually, i think they just get the wood for the fretboards from India. I could be mistaken though. Also, about your Les Pauls, Pics or it didn't happen :P I think we would all like to know how you obtained them as well haha

there are pix in his profile. doesn't authenticate them but he has some nice LP's nonetheless.
joe walsh's tone really is pretty basic, and usually sounds pretty much like the guitar straight into a cranked tube amp. what amp are you using?

when i saw the eagles live, joe walsh used a fender strat for both those songs. although the studio version of funk #49 sounds more like a tele/esquire to me.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
crank a 5e3 to about 7/10.

boom.

funk49 all day long baby.

/inb4itwazatele

edit: damn you blomp!
Quote by e-taubs
The reissue Historics are ok. The crappy ones that cost about $2000 are not even Made in USA. Henry J himself in his speach the other day said the fret boards are made in India.The real ones are what you want. Yes, I have a 59 and 60. Also have a 55 and some others.

Maybe you do have several hundred thousand dollars worth of vintage instruments but then why do you come across as an uneducated ass?
Moving on.....
Quote by monwobobbo
there are pix in his profile. doesn't authenticate them but he has some nice LP's nonetheless.

For years Joe Walsh was a big vintage Gibson nut and sought out bursts. Played them for many years almost exclusively till taking up Fenders and now Carvins as well.
Moving on.....
played fenders for a long long time.

Quote by e-taubs

ya the new ones are overpriced anyway right?

and not too many guys with vintage guitars like that would lay them down on the headstocks like you did in your pics.

at least not the guys that actually paid for them, but hey, they are yours to do with as you wish.
Quote by shecter guy

Actually, if you watch Henry J's response to the Gibson raid (on YouTube) he says that Gibson exports 'partially finished' fret boards from India and they're finished here in America.

As for the personal insults, I'm not biting.
Quote by e-taubs
Actually, if you watch Henry J's response to the Gibson raid (on YouTube) he says that Gibson exports 'partially finished' fret boards from India and they're finished here in America.

As for the personal insults, I'm not biting.

nobodies really insulting you. you have to admit that saying that you have those vintage LP's would raise a few eyebrows in doubt. i would have thought you'd be used to that. you seem rather young in the one picture and although your guitars are nice those pix don't really prove anything except you have 3 LP's.

i believe that the partial boards are a result of india wishing to keep people working there. it may be part of the export deal.
aaaah ok. Hadn't seen that video, just read a couple articles about it. And i wasn't insulting you dude. If you tell someone you have a '59 standard someone is obviously gonna ask where you bought it as they are considered pretty much the Holy Grail by a lot of folks. Not saying you stole them or anything, just curious if there's a story behind it. Hope that clears up any confusion
who insulted him?

the dude came across like an ass.

i thought i was the only one that does that.

people call me an ass all the time, i take it as a term of endearment.

seriously tho, crank a tele through a 5e3 and tell me i'm wrong about funk 49.
It's definitely a strat thru a tubed amp. I know he was using crate amps(wtf???) for a while and boss pedals. U could get that tone out of just about any cranked tube amp and some single coils tho
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by repairmanjack
It's definitely a strat thru a tubed amp. I know he was using crate amps(wtf???) for a while and boss pedals. U could get that tone out of just about any cranked tube amp and some single coils tho

There was no Crate or Boss pedals when Life in The Fast Lane or The James Gang were out.
Basically he played either a Tele, Les Paul, or Gretsch through a tweed Fender. For live performances he used cranked up 50 watt Marshalls. I don't think he used many effects, though he may have used a Fuzz Face and an Echoplex live, and I believe he may have used a Dynacomp with the Eagles.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
also, like I said, he used an Eventide harmonizer on Life in the Fast Lane. He bought the 2nd or third one.