Has anyone played a Godin Shifter bass? I've been looking into them and they seem like very underrated instruments. They retail in the U.S.A. for a little more than a Fender Highway One Jazz or Precision. I know their guitars are supposed to be good ones. What are your thoughts?

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
No, but that is ultimately sexy. Somebody out there has to have played one, because I think I just found my new dream bass...
Basses:
Squier Affinity P
Stellah Ripwood 5
Epiphone EB-0
Godin basses just don't get enough recognition in general, probably because they're not carried as heavily in stores so they're not the first thing that pops in to people's minds when its time to recommend or check out basses.

As for the Shifter, never played one myself, but I've heard good things just from word of mouth.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I've never played one but the neck looks very similar to that of a jazz bass.

I just heard some demos of this bass on youtube and I think I'm in love.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
I played the bass a while ago.

It great bass though having a selector switch is not a feature that I want with a bass.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Ive not played this but i did play my guitar teachers 5 string godin, i cant really tell you anything about the make other than that but it played beautifully... They seem to be very well made instruments and i dont think you can go wrong with this bass.
If there's a fiver version of that in black (or red for Canada) I'm there....
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
You can get a fiver in black, creme or vintage sunburst:

I couldn't find a picture of the fiver with a maple fretboard, but it comes in maple, too.
EDIT:

Here's one:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Aug 29, 2011,
OH MY GOD! that black one is sexy!!!!! i will change my shorts now
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
I was thinking about getting one instead of my MIA Jazz because they look very interesting and are cheaper. Couldn't find one to try out though so I stayed with the jazz. Really want to try one.
I picked one up and it was comfortable to hold. I was almost ready to turn the amp up but my jammin buddy had to go. Unfortunately it was at a kiosk in a mall, so... i didn't get much of a chance to play it. For what i did play though ( the less than 5 minutes) it was a nice bass. Sorry i can't supply more info man !
Great bass. Very high quality materials and workmanship. The only negative is resale value. Godins just do not have the name recognition like Fender, Warwick, Lakland, etc., so the sensible thing to do is try and find one used.

I played a used Shifter in my local music shop several times as it sat for months, unloved, on the rack. I was thoroughly impressed with the axe. Finally sold for $375 w/HSC as I recall.
I tried out a 5 string version today at the local Long and McQuade. Being in Canada, Godin has a little more brand recognition. It was priced at $995 CAD.

I tried it using a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II head and 410 RBH.

The feel was very similar to the Godin Freeway 4 and 5 and had a very low action, I like the action a little higher than how this one was set up. It also has the dual function bridge like the other Godin basses so you can have string though the body or front. The volume control and tone are adequate but are sort of weird to use with a five way pick up select. The combination of the selector switch and the tone knob push/pull to select different pick ups and combinations was not something easily figured out. I found no buzzing or dead frets, no sharp edges and the factory set up held up pretty well (I checked with the store that they had not redone the set up).

The slap/pop sound while on the bridge pick up (Position 5) was spectacular, very percussive. The position "six" selection (Switch position one with push/pull on the tone knob) neck pick up gave me the deep boom that I prefer (same sound of my Vox Constellation on neck pick up with the bass boost but with about 20 times the sustain). The middle pick-up and the blended selections (Bridge-Middle, Bridge-Neck and Neck-Middle) are different sounds altogether, not tones that I hated, but not something I have ever looked for. I played around with different settings using the amp's active EQ, Presence and Contour and got what could be best described as some interesting results particularly with the bridge and blended pick up selections. If you are going for a less "in your face" bass sound, this one offers a lot of options to accomplish that.

I then tried it out into a bit of a simpler, more modestly priced practice amp, a Fender Rumble 15. A friend of mine at the store messed around with it as well.

After some discussion we decided it was "interesting", but no feeling of "gotta have it". If I had brought it home and the wife asked my why, there is no way I could have come up with a valid reason other than "it was different". Three volumes (one for each pick-up) would have been interesting and I am surprised it wasn't done this way.

None of the pick ups seemed to be picking up any buzz, the craftsmanship seemed above average and it "felt like a real bass".

This review is based on about two and half hours play time so take it at face value knowing it was just an old rocker playing around. It would have been nice to try it out on my own rigs, but that will probably not happen.
Last edited by Quintex at Sep 1, 2011,