Hey UG

I HAVE RECENTLY INSTALLED DIM "AIR NORTONS" ON MY "IBANEZ RG321MH" ON THE NECK AND CANT DECIDE REGARDING BRIDGE IF ID BE MORE SATISFIED WITH TONEZONE OR THE STEVE'S SPECIAL

IM AIMING FOR MELODIC SOLOING TYPE GUITAR PLAYING, BIG FAN OF BUCKHEAD, JOE SATCH, STEVE VAI, KARLOS SANTANA, JIMI HENDRIX

LOOKING FOR A BRIDGE PICK UP THAT CAN SOUND MEAN LOL BUT CAN BE MELODIC FOR SOLOING

THANX,
"its not the destination.... so much as the journey" one once said
I'd steer you in the direction of the Steve's Special, personally... John Petrucci used it for years.

I've never been a huge fan of the Tone Zone, but it does clean up nicely when you roll down the volume. It seems to fit best in solo work... in my opinion it just sounds kind of out of place in the mix with a band.
Get the regular Norton for the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a tone zone in my strat, and it's really muddy, bassy and quite dark. It ads a lot of fatness to single note runs, but it's not really good for rythm, it's just too dark and muddy so it doesn't cut through well. I suppose that would be even worse in your guitar, since strat my strat should be brighter than your ibanez.
Thanx, anyone else
I put a steve's special in the bridge position of my epiphone g400 custom and i love it. For rhythm playing it's really clean and articulate, but still sounds mean as hell. It's voiced with a midrange dip which helps avoid muddiness, but it doesn't sound overly scooped, and still sounds nice and full for lead playing. I believe Dimarzio lists it is a high output pickup, but it's more of a medium-hot pickup in my opinion. It's a lot more responsive to picking dynamics than other "high output" pickups i've used. Ease up your picking attack and it'll warm up as well as clean up, dig in and it'll cut like a razor. Bottom end is definitely there, but it's not boomy or flubby at all. It has a really nice, bright and chimey clean tone as well. All around my favorite bridge pickup.
Quote by ivan987
I have a tone zone in my strat, and it's really muddy, bassy and quite dark. It ads a lot of fatness to single note runs, but it's not really good for rythm, it's just too dark and muddy so it doesn't cut through well. I suppose that would be even worse in your guitar, since strat my strat should be brighter than your ibanez.

I suggest you change the tone cap as I find the tonezone in my RG to be rather icepicky at times and im constanly having to roll off the tone, and thats going through a Diezel Einstein which is not known for being a bright amp. I certainly have no issues with presence.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
When you're dealing with pickups it's important to really fiddle with your sound coming out of your amp when you get it.

I had a Tone Zone for a while, I liked it for what it was. I also found it somewhat dark, but I'm using a somewhat dark amp, so maybe that had something to do with it. Definitely go over your guitar and make sure you're using the right pots, so 500k rather than 250k with something like a Tone Zone. A 250k pot will dampen the treble frequencies of the pickup.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanx