So I'm preparing to glue together a two piece alder strat body made from two peices of a slab sawn plank of alder. I am wondering if it matters which way the grain on the end of the of the pieces match up with eachother. I know the grain on top should run the same way but am unsure about the end. Also is it a good idea to use biscuits to strengthen the bond or not? Thanks
Last edited by Talk Box at Aug 28, 2011,
To clarify about the grain on the end I mean when glued togeher should it look like two hills or a hill and a valley...if that makes sense.
Biscuits, reminds me of Norm Abrams (a god). Do it!
Quote by Talk Box
To clarify about the grain on the end I mean when glued togeher should it look like two hills or a hill and a valley...if that makes sense.

It's probably been even either way on the 2-piece Ash bodies I've seen. I had pics of a bunch of them but I don't remember which laptop I stored them.

The hill would lookk better if it's a TransTint; but, from an evenness and/or strength perspective, I'm thinking hill and a valley.

Maybe an experienced builder will chime in.

i glue mine up with the "hill" but honestly on the body i dont think it will matter a bit. its a solidbody i assume, its not going anywhere. as long as youre doing a solid color it shouldnt matter either way
Yup it's going to be solid colour. Thanks. And so biscuits won't hinder the guitar's ability to resonate or anything?
You dont need biscuits for guitar building.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i'd go with dowels but i guess biscuits would work
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
You don't need biscuits or dowels if the wood has been properly prepared. If you hold the boards together and the don't wiggle and you can't see any gaps in the seam then the wood has been properly prepared and biscuits won't help anything.

You you are having a hard time prepping the joint and getting rid of gaps then biscuits would be a good idea, however your guitar isn't going to look as good if there are gaps in the seam so it's better to just do the job right.

As for the grain... most factories don't pay any attention to it and they don't have problems with warping or anything. I'd suggest simply doing what looks best to you.
Not taking any online orders.