So yeah, I'm in need of a distortion pedal, and don't really know what I'm talking about.

I have about 200 EURO, but would prefer something 100 EURO or cheaper. I'm not looking for anything too heavy, as I don't play metal. I wouldn't need any more distortion than say Paul Gilbert uses in his solo stuff. I really like the sound of his "bajo mos", but it doesn't seem very versatile (only has one knob).

If it matters: I have a strat and a Vox VT30
The boss DS-1 fits you like a charm, its a distortion with a grainy sound, and it's cheap (40dlls)

but personally I'll go for the Big Muff Pi, lots of low end, it's really smooth and rich sustain

the RAT 2 it's also good, it's a classic brit distortion and the controls are really sensitive, it's a really dynamic pedal

any questions about the three, just ask (I own the three)
and Metal Muff, Metal Master, and FAB Metal
Opus Pocus =]
Could you list some tones you like besides paul gilbert?
Big muff is a fuzz distortion. And IMO not THAT smooth. It's also pretty scooped, and I don't think that's what TS really needs.
And he can do better than a Boss DS-1

Now I've got no idea on prices, but perhaps something from xotic. They are pretty transparent, and great. An fulltone OCD is a popular marshall sounding pedal. Other than that, for gilbert I don't really know TBH

And according to wikipedia gilbert uses a Xotic AC Booster. So check that out, although I would of recommended the BB
RIP Gooze

cats
OCD by Fulltone. out of your price range? Wait a week or two until it is in it. Won't be disappointed.
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
what type of dist tones are you after?

what's your amp?

what's your guitar?

a lot (not all) of the expensive pedals have very similar models available for much, much less. That's not to say the expensive ones might not sound very slightly better, using better parts and the like, but often the cheaper pedals can get you 95% of the way there for a fraction of the price. so that's worth bearing in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the same rig as you with a Big Muff Pi. I think it sounds good, but it sounded way better through a tube amp at the store. Pedals only sound good on that amp on the Modded Clean setting in Manual Mode with the gain at 12 o'clock and eq set to whatever.
Quote by Dave_Mc
what type of dist tones are you after?

what's your amp?

what's your guitar?

Did I not provide that information in the first post?

Anyway, I researched and wasn't really impressed by the DS-1 or the Big Muff. The Big Muff sounded way too dirty, and I read a lot of comments from people saying that the DS-1 sucked.

I was actually aware of the Fulltone OCD before I made this thread and did like it, but it is expensive.

It seems all the pedals I'm attracted to are the more expensive ones, I guess I'll have to higher my budget.
yeah i just noticed you listed your amp and guitar, sorry about that. you didn't list what distortion tones you wanted, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by WhiskeyFace

Anyway, I researched and wasn't really impressed by the DS-1 or the Big Muff. The Big Muff sounded way too dirty, and I read a lot of comments from people saying that the DS-1 sucked.

I was actually aware of the Fulltone OCD before I made this thread and did like it, but it is expensive.

It seems all the pedals I'm attracted to are the more expensive ones, I guess I'll have to higher my budget.

Are you sure you want distortion, not overdrive?

What about an MXR Custom Badass '78?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i just noticed you listed your amp and guitar, sorry about that. you didn't list what distortion tones you wanted, though.

I said distortion pedal because that seems like the middle of the road, so I thought most of them would be more versatile, but I think I am being drawn more towards 'overdrive' pedals.

EDIT: I think I'm just going to spend the extra money on the OCD. It seems versatile, I like the sound of it, and reviews say it's good.
Last edited by WhiskeyFace at Aug 29, 2011,
i think that's sorta daft. i mean you're talking about spending a similar amount of money on a pedal as what your amp cost.

Thomann/harley benton does a clone of the ocd for 29 euro (when it's in stock, which is rarely ). Might be worth considering before forking out the 150 euro an OCD costs.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think that's sorta daft. i mean you're talking about spending a similar amount of money on a pedal as what your amp cost.

Thomann/harley benton does a clone of the ocd for 29 euro (when it's in stock, which is rarely ). Might be worth considering before forking out the 150 euro an OCD costs.

'sake. I'm an awful shopper

Well according to Mr. Helicopters!, I'm need of a new amp too

I'll try and see if I can nab one of those cheaper ones on Thomann. I also just received word that my mother is going over to the US in a week. Stuff is cheaper over there right?
yeah a new amp would be the ideal

and yeah, stuff is generally cheaper in the us. but amps will be the wrong voltage (most pedals should be ok, though).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Or if you can find a danelectro cool cat drive V1! Also an ocd clone on the cheap... Only the V1 though
RIP Gooze

cats
IVE GOT IT!!!!!! Check out the MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion. Its not overwhelming like most metal pedals, its a vintage dist pedal and it truley is badass. And its only 80.00 US. I would check it out before you buy anything else! good luck.
Fender US Strat-Fender MX Strat-Fender US Tele-Epiphone Sheraton II>Cry Baby Wah-Boss TU3-Nano clean boost-Boss SD1-BBE Green Screamer-Mxr '78 Distortion-Visual Sound Chorus-Digitech Digi Delay-HardWire RV7 Reverb-Digitech Jamman>Fender Frontman 212R
Quote by WhiskeyFace
What the difference between the V1 and the V2? There are a lot of V2's on thomann for about 30 euro.

The V1 is a very accurate ocd clone. I believe danelectro was given a cease and desist because of how similar the circuits were. They then changed it just enough to not get sued and released it as the V2. I'm pretty sure there are some youtube vids comparing them, but if it's an OCD clone you want; then get V1.
V2's are still in production by the way. I've never played a V2, but I do have a V1
RIP Gooze

cats
+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?