Hey all. With being super busy finishing up school, working, then starting my new job my builds have been on hold so I went to guitar center the other day. At first I was just going to get a new pickguard and pickups to revamp an old guitar, but there was a nice looking Schecter Damien with a Floyd for only $250. Despite not being a top model or anything I liked it enough to buy it... I have always been a fan of Schecters. The licensed FR isn't toast yet, and the EMG HZ's surprisingly didn't suck as bad as I thought they would.

Anyway, the action was set at like a half inch so I went to give it a setup and I realized the frets were flatter than ****, and the first fret in particular was super high, to the point of acting like a zero fret when I had the action set low everywhere else. Is this normal for a lower end guitar like that? Or is it possible that the factory had the nut set too deep in the neck from the get go, so that it frets out weird like that when the neck relief and action get set to something more reasonable?

I am planning to bring all my fretwork tools to work this week (I work 1.5 hrs from home so I am crashing at a buddys) and I'm going to try to level them out a bit and give them atleast some sort of a crown. Does anyone have any tips for this? Fretting I've done before has been with a new neck and the truss rod hasn't been played with,

Thanks yall
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Derp de derp. I assumed the nut height would come right from the factory, which was a bad assumption... it didnt even cross my mind until I was writing this post. Well, after a bit of digging I found that action at the nut should be 2/32nds or .0625"... mine is pretty substantially less than that. Thinking about it now it makes perfect sense that once the relief was set right it frets out instantly at the first fret. Looks like I found my culprit, but I still want to do something about those damn frets so any pointers etc much appreciated.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+