preamp tubes only.

i have only one backup preamp tube, and havent messed around with swapping tubes in my amps (i think i have seven tube amps each with at least four preamp tubes except the 18w), and i think a variety pack would be in order to mess around with tone.

the one thing i know i dont need as far as pre goes are more JJ's, they are my favorite but i am sure i probably have a dozen or so in amps functioning well.

i am not really interested in NOS unless it is reasonable. also as far as NOS goes another thing that turns me off is that i am anal about being able to get the same thing again in the future (say 10 years down the road) at a reasonable price and changing to different tubes and losing some aspects of my tone.

are there some that would do better as phase inverters than others (i know that the PI has to be balanced).

i would like a lot of variety as far as gain goes.

just a general selection, guide, type of thing.

i will be buying online.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My favorite preamp tube thanks to Craig from CEC is the Jans Phillips 5751. I love the sound of this tube.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
JJ ECC83S and a couple of JJ ECC803. But tbh, I wouldn't do that at all. I'd be haunting ebay looking for NOS tubes. Spend a bit of time and it's amazing what you can pick up for decent prices; Mullards, Brimars, Amperexes, Phillips and if you're really lucky a Telefunken or two.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
PI does not need to be balanced. Any PI circuit is impossible to balance by design and a good bump will knock one or both triodes in a 12A*7 tube out of spec so that they're no longer matched. Personally, I'd just grab a bunch of GE and RCA 12AX7s for $20-$30 a pop and they'll last pretty much forever. If you must go new production, Tung Sols and JJs are pretty nice.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
PI does not need to be balanced. Any PI circuit is impossible to balance by design and a good bump will knock one or both triodes in a 12A*7 tube out of spec so that they're no longer matched. Personally, I'd just grab a bunch of GE and RCA 12AX7s for $20-$30 a pop and they'll last pretty much forever. If you must go new production, Tung Sols and JJs are pretty nice.

tonally how would you describe a RCA 12AX7 or GE to anything made today?

i defintly will look into the RCA and GE, and will look into tung sols.

where is the best place to buy tubes? i have looked at euro, dougs, and a few other. i would rather buy from a dealer than Ebay for tubes, for some reason i don't feel as confident on the safe arrival of the tube shipped accross the country with the way i have seen some ebayers pack..
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Cathbard
JJ ECC83S and a couple of JJ ECC803. But tbh, I wouldn't do that at all. I'd be haunting ebay looking for NOS tubes. Spend a bit of time and it's amazing what you can pick up for decent prices; Mullards, Brimars, Amperexes, Phillips and if you're really lucky a Telefunken or two.

i have heard that the mullards today are rebranded and are actually something else. how would you know whether it is a NOS mullard or new production without a doubt?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
RCA and GE have a fuller tone with more bell-like qualities than anything around today. Those JJ ECC83S valves are pearlers though. They are a copy of a Telefunken. The JJ ECC803 is a low noise long plate Tesla tube, made in the same factory, on the same machinery as the originals. Not so good in a combo because they can tend to microphonics and slightly less gain than the ECC83S but an excellent tube for V1 in a head.
JJ and SED (SED used to be the old Svetlana factory) are the only original factories left from the good ol' days.
European NOS valves are better than American ones generally speaking but the American ones are still very good.

Real Mullards aren't made in Russia. They made Mullards in lots of places and usually rebranded them; Tungsram (Hungary), Miniwat (Australia), BEL (India). But they didn't make them in Russia. If they are made in Russia they aren't a real Mullard. Phillips owned Mullard so a lot of Phillips tubes are actually Mullards. Those JAN Phillips that Craig loves so much are basically an American Mullard.

Ippon, is right. RFT are a great German tube for those times when you want more bass. Really rich sounding tube but heavy on the bass. Quite often sold quite cheaply.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification