who are the best"jack of all trades"guitarists that come to your mind?

Page 1 of 3
I think that buckethead has a good command of a wide range of styles.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Eric Johnson is a bit of a jack of all trades.

Then there's Steve Howe...
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by quantam49
guitarists who would purely fit that description

Jimmy Page, Yngwie Malmsteen.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Steve Vai. Of course the guy is easily recognized as a guitar god by everybody, but when you think about it, he's one of the very few guys who have actually dabbled in almost all genres thinkable.
Govan obviously (like stated above) is the entire deck of cards. Just watch the video in which he imitates other guitarist.

Then probably Nunu bettencourt an EXTREMEly (see what I did thar? lol) underated guitarist. Bit of Paul gilbert, Bitch of SRV (who was a whole lotta hendrix).
Quote by Jawlytomtom
Jack white
Jack Johnson
Jack Clarke
Jack Thomas
Jack O'Neil

the list goes on...

I see what you did there...
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Quote by Mr.-Bungle
Bitch of SRV

Come again?
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
i would say steve vai or john petrucci. not only do they have amazing talent at almost every single technique, they are great songwriters and are never afraid of trying something new or trying new genres. they also know more theory than you'd want to know.
Steve Morse anyone?

That guy is awesome.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
Jimmy page John Paul Jones, Steve Vai, Frank Zappa
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Tom Morello comes to mind.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Zappa (Dweezil or Frank, which ever one you'd prefer)
John Frusciante
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
No way would I call Vai, Petrucci or buckethead a jack of all trades.. They play the same damn stale style every time. The only time I've heard Vai sound anything remotely different was when he was playing with Zappa. Other than that they're both souless shredders at heart.

The Govan's, Gilberts, and bettencourts are real players, they know when to go hard or to hold back and actually play another style authentically rather than simply try to rehash it with the basic underlying techniques. It's not all about if they can sweep a crap load you know... That just makes you a shredder.

P.s. I accidentley said "Bitch of SRV" before. Pretty sure I meant to say "Bit" or maybe I was thinking about my ex... but yeah. I love SRV. so yeah just to clear that up lol.
Last edited by Mr.-Bungle at Aug 29, 2011,
Paublo Gilberto. Guy can pretty much play whatever the hell he wants if he feels like it.
I pretend to write songs.

If I die tomorrow, I'd be alright
Because I believe that after we're gone
The spirit carries on
Chris Broderick or Buckethead.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Jeff Beck. That is all.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Johnny Ramone.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Mr.-Bungle
No way would I call Vai, Petrucci or buckethead a jack of all trades.. They play the same damn stale style every time. The only time I've heard Vai sound anything remotely different was when he was playing with Zappa. Other than that they're both souless shredders at heart.

The Govan's, Gilberts, and bettencourts are real players, they know when to go hard or to hold back and actually play another style authentically rather than simply try to rehash it with the basic underlying techniques. It's not all about if they can sweep a crap load you know... That just makes you a shredder.

P.s. I accidentley said "Bitch of SRV" before. Pretty sure I meant to say "Bit" or maybe I was thinking about my ex... but yeah. I love SRV. so yeah just to clear that up lol.

You know, I will concentrate on Buckethead here.

You said he constantly stays in the same style cos he shreds a lot and he does and most of his technique sounds rehashed and it is, most likely.

But if you look at his repertoire, the number and variation of artists he collaborated with and the amount of albums he pumps out himself, I highly doubt that you cant call him a jack of all trades.

Leads and technique is one thing, composing is something completely different.

Look at Frank Zappa for example, not a great lead guitarist and most of his leads sound the same but the amount of stuff he composed and the variation between them, I'd say that he is, like Buckethead, a jack of all trades.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
John 5: Dudes played with Zombie and Manson and that's where he gets most of his recognition. Has also played/written songs for/recorded with kd Lang, Salt N Pepa, David Lee Roth, Lynyrd Skynrd, Paul Stanley, The Scorpions, Lita ford, Rick Springfield, Meat Loaf, and Ricky Martin

John 5 is an immense talent and really play anything...ever
I used to be a goddamn saint. I said my prayers and handled snakes until the road introduced me to sin. I only shook hands with drink but he had friends with him
Quote by Guitar0player
You know, I will concentrate on Buckethead here.

You said he constantly stays in the same style cos he shreds a lot and he does and most of his technique sounds rehashed and it is, most likely.

But if you look at his repertoire, the number and variation of artists he collaborated with and the amount of albums he pumps out himself, I highly doubt that you cant call him a jack of all trades.

Leads and technique is one thing, composing is something completely different.

Look at Frank Zappa for example, not a great lead guitarist and most of his leads sound the same but the amount of stuff he composed and the variation between them, I'd say that he is, like Buckethead, a jack of all trades.

I can understand where you're coming from with that opinion. But I really couldn't ever seeing Buckethead being placed on a mantle on the same stage as the Zapman. Buckethead as composer is redundant and boring, sure enough he's played with a lot of people but it all sounds the same to me, That weird yet not so weird rehash of a messed up Paul gilbert (of which he was taught by for a while, and clearly uses a lot of his stuff). But that's technique alone. Zappa created 100's upon 100's of peices which for the most part weren't even for guitar.. Orchestral, ambient, or down right flamboyant musical perfomance styles. Hell even showtunes probably.

To be honest.. I think Buckethead is just overated. He sticks to his image and made up fake style too much which hinders him imo. But respect to him for playing and creating that weird style.

Soz for the essay.. : S
Quote by quantam49
guitarists who would purely fit that description

A professional session guitarist.
John Petrucci quite obviously.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Mr.-Bungle

/thatsjustlikeyouropinionman.jpg

Lets not poke a dead horse with a stick talking about "soulfullness"

Buckethead and Vai fit description perfectly, but if i were to name 3 it would be Guthrie, Broderick and Buckethead.
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by Mr.-Bungle

Man, I don't even know where to start with this.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Tosin Abasi
Mike Einziger
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Saying Buckethead isn't a jack of all trades is pretty silly, honestly. The guy has done funk, flamenco, blues, metal (different kinds), electronic music, ballads, bluegrass, noise, etc. Whether or not you like it is irrelevant. He can play it.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Steven Wilson comes to my mind. How much stuff he has had a hand in that I love, and just his playing in general. Very unique style.
Strength Of The Inferno, Mind Of The Heavens, Speed Of The Tempest, Thus, a miracle was born.
http://www.last.fm/user/RobertELeet
Jackson Warrior
Ibanez Artcore AG85
Squire Affinity J-Bass

VIKINGS

UG Black
This isn't your favorite guitarist thread. This is about a guitarist that plays metal, rock, jazz, blues and whatnot equally well. I'd have to go with Buckethead and Marty Friedman. I took lessons from Francesco Artusato and that dude knows his jazz.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Page 1 of 3