I got these random used pickups from a shop. Is it common to find pickups that have the different height in the individual coils. Like the middle 2 coils are taller then the rest. Is there a chance that these arent TS?
not looking back but i want to look around.
if you mean like this:

Then that's nothing uncommon.
I'll leave the indepth explanation to someone else so I don't make a fool out of myself, but the pole pieces height can increase output or fatten the tone on individual strings I believe.
RIP Gooze

cats
Yeah I wouldn't about that at all. It's just another method to further tweak the tone of your pickups.
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
First off, Fender pickups (unless it's a vintage set) should have the number "016730" cast into the bottom of the bobbin. If you can't see the bottom of the bobbin because of a large magnet glued to it then it's a cheap ceramic set.

I'm pretty sure the Texas Specials have staggered pole pieces. Do the top of the poles form an arc, or are they random?

I'm not sure on this, but the TS's might have the vintage cloth wiring instead of the modern plastic-insulated kind. I know Fender Custom Shop pickups do..
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
First off, Fender pickups (unless it's a vintage set) should have the number "016730" cast into the bottom of the bobbin. If you can't see the bottom of the bobbin because of a large magnet glued to it then it's a cheap ceramic set.

I'm pretty sure the Texas Specials have staggered pole pieces. Do the top of the poles form an arc, or are they random?

I'm not sure on this, but the TS's might have the vintage cloth wiring instead of the modern plastic-insulated kind. I know Fender Custom Shop pickups do..

I own texas specials, they're a bit random in some cases.