Hi guys,
As the title says I am looking at buying a new guitar for my birthday and I'm having trouble deciding between a PRS Custom 24, PRS Custom 22, PRS Studio, Gretsch White Falcon or some other semi-hollowbody (maybe Gibson es-335 or an epiphone).

I currently have a Gibson Les Paul Studio which I love but I am looking for a guitar that is a bit more versatile when it comes to the tones that I can make with it. my amp is a Vox AC15 which I don't plan on changing any time soon because I love the warm bluesy tone that it gives in comparison fender amps for example.

Anyway, the style of music that I play is generally Classic Rock, funk rock and Blues and occasionally Hard Rock, so I am not a huge fan of distortion and I prefer a crunchy overdriven tone or completely clean. My influences are: John Frusciante, Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King and Slash. I have heard that P-90 Pickups are great for this kind of music but they aren't versatile and they give a lot of feedback. Can you guys please confirm this or unconfirm it. The reason I am looking at the PRS Guitars is because they have humbuckers and single coil cause they have coil tapping and they have great playability and tone and The PRS Studio has 2 Narrowfield pickups (and mix of single-coil p-90 and humbuckers and 1 humbucker

Please suggest which of these guitars I should get and whether I should get a semi-hollow body or solid body!!!!

Thanks
I have a Les Paul with p90s and they aren't that noisy, they barely buzz... they also are great for the kind of crunch you're talking about...
and to me, a Les Paul is pretty much one of the most versatile guitars you can get

but yeah, on topic, I love both the Gretsch White Falcon and the Gibson 335. If you want something a bit smaller, the 339 might do it for you as well (I remember it being described as a hollow body the size of a LP).
Besides that, Frusciante is a star/les paul guy, Jimi is a strat and played with a few SGs and Slash is a LP guy, BB king I'm not sure.
You can always get a nice strat, which is the incarnation of the word "versatile", especially with a bridge humbuck', maybe you could even go custom if you're able to afford a white falcon
BB king plays his Lucille which is a kind of Semi-Hollow body I think...something like the Gibson 335. Just so you know :P
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Darkflame
BB king I'm not sure.

King used an ES-335 most of his career. Although he did use Teles early on.

I would say go with an ES-335, maybe even a modded Strat.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Darkflame
I have a Les Paul with p90s and they aren't that noisy, they barely buzz... they also are great for the kind of crunch you're talking about...
and to me, a Les Paul is pretty much one of the most versatile guitars you can get

but yeah, on topic, I love both the Gretsch White Falcon and the Gibson 335. If you want something a bit smaller, the 339 might do it for you as well (I remember it being described as a hollow body the size of a LP).
Besides that, Frusciante is a star/les paul guy, Jimi is a strat and played with a few SGs and Slash is a LP guy, BB king I'm not sure.
You can always get a nice strat, which is the incarnation of the word "versatile", especially with a bridge humbuck', maybe you could even go custom if you're able to afford a white falcon

Thanks, I'm not sure I'd like a Strat, it just doesn't really catch my eye like the PRS Guitars or the white falcon (not only cause of the looks). What do you think of the PRS guitars?
In terms Of the types music it can play the les Paul is versatile but since it generally only has humbuckers it can't get the bite and the thin tone of a single coil. I wouldnt really like an es-335 cause I already have a guitar with only humbuckers and I would rather either a guitar with humbuckers and coil tapping (gibson can't be coil tapped, or at least not easily) or a guitar with a completely different range of pickups. Could you tell me how each of the guitars suit the types of music that I play?

Any more opinions are welcome!
Of the list you put I'd go for the White Falcon, but that's mainly because I'm a Billy Duffy fan & he plays one a lot!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Duesenberg Starplayer TV is one hell of a guitar. The style is pure sexy and the tones are versatile. I got one a few months ago and i can't say enough good about it. It is not too big or bulky, the pickups are responsive and the deco styling is really something else.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
The Les Paul is very versatile guitar, perhaps if change the pups (I'm thinking burstbuckers).
Whatever... bearing the options you mentioned I would probably go for the Gibby ES-335, but it's a tough choice, you have some very good stuff in mind dude.
Kudos for your fine taste sir.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
go Cu24, i just a down payment on mine on staurday, crazy versatile, very articulate pups and it just feels great fir me.

but then again im biased
Of the models you've mentioned, the PRS Studio would have by far the most pickup selection options. With a Push/Pull Tone Control and 5-Way Blade Pickup Selector you'd be able to dial in just about anything.

From a review:

Sounds

The concept of a 'studio' guitar suggests versatility, quiet hum-free performance and perhaps a certain character. The hardtail Studio has all of these qualities in spades. Acoustically there's generous resonant sustain - always a good start.

In the clean department - and referencing with various PRS guitars - the Studio immediately impresses with some rich Fender-y in-between tones, not quite as spiky as the 305's true single-coils, of course, but fuller and richer than a single-coil Strat we had to hand.

Solo, the neck NF is more focused than a standard humbucker, tighter in the bass and there's definitely a hint of single-coil quack. It's the halfway between a single-coil and a humbucker tone that impresses: roll off the tone control a little and it takes on a darker, jazzier P-90-equipped ES-330 type voice; reduce the volume control, wind the tone back up and it's more Strat-like, take the tone down again and it's more muted Tele neck pickup-like.

But turn both controls back up, kick in some crunch and you're into a Les Paul Deluxe's over-looked mini-humbucking tone. The middle pickup, when solo'd, is harder to pigeonhole, but 'fat Strat' gives you a good idea.

Played clean, the bridge 57/08 may be brighter and more clear sounding than you might expect, and output-wise it's only subtly hotter than the NFs.

But it's surprisingly versatile, even through a clean Fender amp. You can certainly nail some country twang and zing or in combination with the guitar's controls and some amp adjustments create a much more muted, smokier and jazzier voice.

Clean jangle with some tone roll-off gets us close to classic Ricky too, but in reality it's probably not meant to do that on this platform. As we dial-in some more classic rock/blues amp tones, the 57/08 shows a good blend of mid- range kick and clean transparency; again the volume and tone controls both alter the character and you find yourself recalling, well, virtually any player of the past 40 years that ever had a classic Gibson solidbody in their hands.

The Studio's secret weapons are the chameleon-like NFs. It's right up the street of the classic blues-rocker who wants some 'Fender' in their tone, or perhaps a more open-minded player who wants to explore the vast midway between a single- coil and a humbucking guitar.

Extremely well made, the Studio is a staggering, well playing and good sounding electric guitar that touches numerous bases sound-wise, with some rich 'single-coil' colours and plenty of wonderfully organic, old school rock punch.

It covers a lot of ground, but then so does the PRS Custom, or the 513, or even the 305. So does the Studio have your name on it? Well, it's a must-try for the player who wants versatility, but sits a little more on the Gibson-side of the tracks.

Regardless, it's well worth getting down to your local music shop and giving this and the other new PRS guitars a try, especially if you haven't played one for a few years. Just be prepared to make space in your collection for one of the finest electric guitars money can buy.

Used one for $2250. I have no affiliation.
http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85189
Get something with some single-coils. Doesn't have to be a Fender Strat... Could be a PRS strat-copy.

305 looks like an eagle or a custom, but has 3-single setup.

Last edited by roshjosh at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by Seanthesheep
go Cu24, i just a down payment on mine on staurday, crazy versatile, very articulate pups and it just feels great fir me.

but then again im biased

+++111
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
just to throw some more ideas out there.

i would definitely look into Suhr or Tom Anderson, i haven't been blessed to play an anderson, but the suhr modern i played was just amazing beyond belief. but at that price range, most probably would be.

the PRS 513 intreagues me, but i personally am not a prs kinda guy. i like my LP's and wolfgangs and dual humbuckers.

maybe a EBMM or something? if you were to get some coil tapping with one of those, they are awesome guitars, and i am sure you would get good cleans.

gotta love a 335. i really want one.

have you looked into Charvel? they have some good offerengs at a lower buck
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/

humbuckers, piezos, does everything.

perfect for the rockabillyfolkraggaedeathrapcore lover in all of us.
I own a es-339, a les paul standard, and a couple others. I bought the prs cu24 and hardly touch my gibsons anymore. The prs is the finest instrument I have ever held