Yo, circumstances has lined up in a way where I might get a smartphone.

I however have no desire to **** around on facebook, twitter, mail or whatever. A question that popped up, when I looked at what brands to get is, can the phone help me with music?

I don't really know what's possible here, but the most basic of things where I could use the phone, would be on-the-fly composing.
Using time you sit on the bus to compose, or such. Does this work all right?

Also anything else, you might use the phone music-wise to do would be cool. I guess you can use it as a guitar-tuner for example. Any tips would be cool ^^
I have a couple of music apps on my iPod, unfortunately I haven't found a good app for composing yet:

Ultimate-guitar has an app with a tuner, chord library and a metronome. I've also downloaded guitar pro for my iPod, but unfortunately I don't think the iPod version has any options to edit the tabs, but I can listen to my tabs for ideas with it.
I'm an apple boy so you know my answer I guess...
I love it...I reaaaally do...

and my brother works for them :P
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
On the iPhone There are loads of chromatic tuner and metronome apps. Cleartune is a great chromatic tuner and songsterr is a great tab app (it Plays back the tabs). And don't forget about UG!
I just found out that I can compose new songs with guitar pro for iPod/iPhone. So I would say that a smart phone can help you with on-the-fly composing.
Last edited by Bassolini at Aug 29, 2011,
haven't found many apps for my WM smartphone (got just a tuner/chord library and 2 apps for learning notes on fretboard)

Then i also have android tablet and there is quite a lot different music-related apps. I for one use app for tabs (can read guitar pro tabs, not sure about editing them though) also a tuner, chord library (don't really use those two at all nowadays), metronome and drum machine. I also keep in set of backing tracks and some .pdfs with guitar-related ebooks. There also was some fretboard learning game for android i think. I also seen some apps with video-courses, but i haven't tried those. You can also watch youtube on it which can be handy as well.

feel free to PM me if you decide to get some android device and need more info ^^
There are tons of chord apps on the android market, and there is a free notation editor, called Maestro, if you want to read standard notation (it helps with certain aspects of theory.)

There are also guitar emulators, where you can play the gee tar.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
There's a mini amp for iPhones, doesn't cost much, and it supposedly works well.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
There's a couple things for Android, but none of them are full-fledged enough to actually be of any true use to someone who doesn't want to create electronic tunes.

The one I use (and will upgrade to the full version eventually) is called ULoops Studio Lite. It's a decent mini-DAW, but for recording purposes? It's pretty shitty (but it a phone so ) It's pretty flexible for on-the-go beat-makers and it has some pretty good Synth's in it.

If you have an iPhone you can get Nanostudio. It seems pretty awesome for a mini-DAW and you can get some sick/decent tones from it. This is "Stengah" by Meshuggah done completely in Nanostudio.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Aug 29, 2011,
Theres an app for iPhones called 'AmpliTube', which can come in useful as a portable amp ( a very quiet one :P ), and there are some apps that have tuners/chord libraries in them, I think UG has one too
I was at the International Guitar Festival there, I'd say the majority (!!!) of the pro musicians there were using a smartphone or Ipad for regular gigs and for their tutoring.

You can do ear training while commuting, store music you're learning, watch instructional vids, look up requests, store thousands of lead sheets in your pocket, and network for gigs anywhere.

I think it makes sense to get a smartphone.