Riff 2
e|-5-----4------------------------------------------|
B|---5-----5---5------------------------------------|
G|-----6-----6---6-----------6----9-8-----------7~~-|
D|-----------------7-----6h7---/9-----9-------7-----|
A|-------------------6h7----------------9-7h9-------|
E|--------------------------------------------------|

Anybody have tips how to play this riff not to ring out?
I can play it 'clear' but always one strings rings out and then messes the whole riff. i tried to mute it but then it just doesnt sound right.
In the eye of the tornado , blow me away!
Quote by Voodoosnake
Riff 2
e|-5-----4------------------------------------------|
B|---5-----5---5------------------------------------|
G|-----6-----6---6-----------6----9-8-----------7~~-|
D|-----------------7-----6h7---/9-----9-------7-----|
A|-------------------6h7----------------9-7h9-------|
E|--------------------------------------------------|

Anybody have tips how to play this riff not to ring out?
I can play it 'clear' but always one strings rings out and then messes the whole riff. i tried to mute it but then it just doesnt sound right.

I'd rearrange the notes a bit, personally.

e|-----------------------------------------------------|
B|-10p5---9p5------------------------------------------|
G|------6-----6--11p6-----------6----9-8-----------7~~-|
D|--------------------7-----6h7---/9-----9-------7-----|
A|----------------------6h7----------------9-7h9-------|
E|-----------------------------------------------------|

I would find that more comfortable to play, personally.

Now, if you're one of those people who insists on playing the riff as it's written, try using more index finger muting in there to keep the upper strings quiet.
Nah actually I use tabs just to see if they are correct. I always use Live videos of Megadeth too see fingering, and yeah thanks mate for tip for index. I now mute every unnessery (fail typing) noise.
The muting is all in the right hand. Apart from the high E string, all of that is very lightly palm muted, which whilst instantly stop it from ringing. For the high E, just take a little pressure off the string.

Lucretia is the funnest song in the world.

The fingering you put op is what I believe Dave plays, but if you try Geldins and its easier, then that's good to, just make sure you palm mute the right notes and ring the right notes.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by jkielq91
The muting is all in the right hand. Apart from the high E string, all of that is very lightly palm muted, which whilst instantly stop it from ringing. For the high E, just take a little pressure off the string.

Lucretia is the funnest song in the world.

Agreed. But the problem isn't in 556 456 567 muting. I mute that. It's the 6h7 6h7 thing, if i lightly mute that it wont sound as good.
Quote by Voodoosnake
Agreed. But the problem isn't in 556 456 567 muting. I mute that. It's the 6h7 6h7 thing, if i lightly mute that it wont sound as good.

Experiment with it at a slow speed and see if the mutings any better. What strings are ringing out when you dont want them? is it the higher strings about or the previous string you played?
Its right after 6h7 6h7 7 then when I slide with ring from 8th to 9th fret there starts the ring out festival.
You need to mute with your right hand carefully. Give it a go with a lot of distortion and try to keep your right hand on all strings lower than the one you're playing. It's not a very easy lick to mute. I recommend practising with the correct fingering (the one you posted).

Do you mean that when you kind of barre the the 9th fret they ring out? Because you'll have to roll your finger a little to keep those strings from ringing.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3