Ok, so i'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to the sound of my drums. And I was recently assistant engineer on a friends album which we've just finished recording. Now in the vid, at 0:20 and 1:20 you can hear exactly what my snare sounds like, for some reason I don't like it and it's probably the way I tuned it, I did batter side head first and fine tuned in a clockwise direction when I normally fine tune opposite lugs.

Btw, this is an old Rogers snare from the 60's that the drummer in the vid, never used and I ended up buying it off of him for future purposes.
Am I just being paranoid, or does the snare not suit the music?

Here
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
I listened to it at first and thought that it sounded great, after a second time it became noticeable. It doesn't sound bad at all and maybe it's noticeable because I'm trying to hear what's wrong with the snare, I'd show some other people first but just tell them to listen to it, then the second time tell them to listen to the snare in particular. If they don't notice the first time then there's probably no need to.

If anything, I'm not a fan of the guy's vocals.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Thanks guys, considering the sound is all from the video camera itself, it's alright. But when listening to it with the mix of the band through monitors, it just gets lost in the mix.

That and I think it sounds really 'Tinny'
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

To my ear, your snare thuds rather than snaps. I also thought your tom, the one time I notice you hit it, sounded a bit dead so there is a good chance that what I'm hearing is just the mic and not the drum. It's also possible that you need to adjust the reso heads to give the drums more pop. I think your snare has a lot of potential and I do think it's overall tone matches well with the band.
Not taking any online orders.
Forget the snare, your double bass player's moustache is epic.

Back on topic, I actually like the snare sound. Its a little loose, which I think fits the funky kind of rockabilly thing you guys are playing. I dont think you want the snare any tighter. Your not playing jazz.

Its also hard to tell because the camera mic is clipping so any overtones or ring wont be caught. I would love to hear the final mix.

BTW, pretty cool shit you guys are playing.
Quote by leo4sf
Forget the snare, your double bass player's moustache is epic.

Back on topic, I actually like the snare sound. Its a little loose, which I think fits the funky kind of rockabilly thing you guys are playing. I dont think you want the snare any tighter. Your not playing jazz.

Its also hard to tell because the camera mic is clipping so any overtones or ring wont be caught. I would love to hear the final mix.

BTW, pretty cool shit you guys are playing.

Thanks dude, but that's not me playing, I'm the assistant engineer you see playing the triangle.

I'll be sure to post a few links to some finished mixed and mastered versions if you're interested.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

I like the snare. Sure, at some parts, especially the start it sounds slightly out of place, to me, but as everything comes together it sounds really neat.

I like the snare.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Just on the mix down, try keeping it scooped in the low mids so theres better seperation. Try pointing the mic (57?) furhter towards the edge, you will loose a little attack but it will brighten it up.

I tune my snares to "A" on both sides. Check out this video. Shitty camera mic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSXPyZaCKHs&feature=channel_video_title
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass