Page 1 of 2
This occurred to me the other day. I notice that when I'm down there is a part of me that actually enjoys it. I know I'm not the only one because I've had other people tell me the same thing but it still perplexes me.

What is it about being sad/depressed that can be alluring?
"There are two wolves fighting inside all of us - the wolf of fear and hate, and the wolf of love and peace." The grandson listened, then looked up at his grandfather and asked, "Which one will win?", The grandfather replied, "the one we feed".
Yup. I feel low a lot and I've come to like it in a somewhat weird way.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I can only feel rage and happiness. Sweet huh?
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Sadness? Yes. Depression? **** no.

Depression is addicting in a way. When it's been your lifestyle for so long anything else just feels uncomfortable.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I have to agree with you. It's almost an odd, good feeling to start feeling sad or to start feeling sorry for yourself and to want to shut out the world for a bit. I guess it's something that might be different for everyone, though.
Quote by fail
Depression is addicting in a way. When it's been your lifestyle for so long anything else just feels uncomfortable.

This is true in my case, in a way. Went through a heavy bout of it not too long ago and sometimes felt like I could pull myself out and be back to myself. But I didn't, because I had grown accustomed to just laying there being antisocial. It felt weird being around people. But meds helped!

Quote by one-dead-cop
yeah, people enjoy being sad and depressed so much they kill themselves.....

/doesn't know what addiction means.
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by SeveralSpecies
This is true in my case, in a way. Went through a heavy bout of it not too long ago and sometimes felt like I could pull myself out and be back to myself. But I didn't, because I had grown accustomed to just laying there being antisocial. It felt weird being around people. But meds helped!

This, sort of. With me it's more... I'm just used to it. I feel almost comfortable with it, and other moods feel alien. It also, like you, made me quite antisocial. However, I've found that when my mood rises, I am glad I don't have as many friends, and have come to really appreciate them.

Quote by one-dead-cop
yeah, people enjoy being sad and depressed so much they kill themselves.....

Different.
ha-haaa
Quote by truiteleague
e...m...o...

M...i...d...d...l...e...s...c...h...o...o...l...

That was painful to type

Quote by SeveralSpecies

It's true in my case as well, as I feel like feeling anything but depressed would be undeserved and lying to myself. It's weird.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Last edited by fail at Aug 29, 2011,
If sadness becomes the norm, then other things feel foreign and sadness can be your safety net and in a sense addicting.
Its messed up.
Quote by Hergiswi

Once I fucked a mountain gorilla and it couldn't even tell me it loved me afterward.
Quote by spanishyanez
Mental you get my vote for making me laugh for more than 3 minutes
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Ask Arsene Wenger.

Quote by truiteleague
e...m...o...

What do bands like Braid, Cap'n Jazz, and The Promise Ring have to do with this
Last edited by wizards? at Aug 29, 2011,
I do know what addicting means. was referring to the comments about enjoyin being depressed and stuff.
I don't think it's a case of calling it addictive. If you keep feeling sad without being at least a little bit optimistic you can really fool yourself that what you say is completely correct without any way of getting better.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

There are a lot of people (mostly girls) who I genuinely believe like to feel depressed. They think it gets them attention, when in reality, it's just making people hate them. I have had clinical depression for as far back as I can remember, but I try my best to make it so that nobody can tell.
Quote by JohnSmith85
I try my best to make it so that nobody can tell.

I kinda did this, but then there were times where I kinda wanted someone to notice. Not in a way that would make them come up to me to see if I was OK, I HATED people trying to help me, but for some reason I just wanted them to know what I was feeling.

Weird.
Quote by wizards?
What do bands like Braid, Cap'n Jazz, and The Promise Ring have to do with this

I love how you emo guys jump at every opportunity to explain what emo really is.

Every single time
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
I love how you emo guys jump at every opportunity to explain what emo really is.

Every single time

Most people don't know what emo actually is. It's not about dyed hair and skinny jeans that lower your sperm count, it's about tube socks
Goth/scene/emo are pretty much the same thing in the eyes of most people. I think all 3 are completely different, but that's probably because I know examples of each personally. Scene is pretty much a stupid teenage angst phase, emo is more of an artistic thing and goth goes back for probably thousands of years. Depression itself has nothing to do with any of these groups. In every society, there is depression.
Last edited by JohnSmith85 at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by JohnSmith85
Scene is pretty much a stupid teenage angst phase,.

Lol, no.
Quote by JohnSmith85
emo is more of an artistic thing

Lol, no.
Quote by JohnSmith85
goth goes back for probably thousands of years.

Lol, no.
I'm a cynical, pessimistic, angry, bitter, fairly offensive little man.
Yeah, I enjoy it. I hate people who are always happy, for no specific reason. I hate people who are blindly optimistic in the face of unrealistic adversity.
People who see someone sat thinking or whatever, who haven't got retard grin plastered on their face, and just go up to them to tell them to smile...
Do that to me you're getting a pimp hand upside the face
Quote by So-Cal
It can get comfortable.

As related to the topic, I think this is probably the best answer. It's extremely easy to accept your situation, become morose and pessimistic, and not be willing to do anything about it. It just becomes a lazy hate cycle, in which it's easier to do nothing.
Quote by blake1221
Lol, no.

Lol, no.

Lol, no.

You're wrong.
It's scientifically proven that as soon as you turn 20, you become un-scene, Picasso and Rembrandt were both emo, and Jesus was gothic.
Quote by institutions
and Jesus was gothic.

ha-haaa
Quote by blake1221
Lol, no.

Lol, no.

Lol, no.

Care to explain? I was just giving you my take on the definitions. At least I wasn't saying something like "Emoz r fagz they ware black at deh hot topicz and cut their wrists to my chemical romance", like most people say. Look up goth culture on wikipedia or something. I know it goes back to at least the dark ages.
Quote by JohnSmith85
Care to explain? I was just giving you my take on the definitions. At least I wasn't saying something like "Emoz r fagz they ware black at deh hot topicz and cut their wrists to my chemical romance", like most people say. Look up goth culture on wikipedia or something. I know it goes back to at least the dark ages.

The Goths weren't goths
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goths

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth_subculture
Last edited by wizards? at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by JohnSmith85

Emo is a style of music, nothing more, nothing less. Any style related to that scene is probably akin more to a subdued punk than what most people call it.

"Faux" Emo, we'll call what people generally think emo is. F-emo is the whole wear black, write shitty poetry, studded belts and black hair with certain dyes. It's just a fashion, and a mindset that's for fun for 14 year olds to run with for some reason. F-emo bands can range from the ones that everyone points to (The Used) to any of the overly depressive kinda bands that write "emo" lyrics.

More or less, this:

Scene would be the result of those same kids fast forwarding two years. And whereas originally everything was dark, they keep the fundamentals but go obscenely bright and childish. Hair styles get bigger and more flamboyant, girls' make up gets a bit crazier. Blonde and bright highlights are more preferable than the dark stuff, but you can still have dark shit and be scene. Scene is not angst, it's little girls and boys going crazy with their make up and hair. Also, piercings out the ass.

Goth as we know it, does not come from thousands of years ago, it comes from the 80's when some post punk bands started going in a different direction. People taking pale make up, all black and lot's of throwback clothing are just styles picked up along the way.

Last edited by blake1221 at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by JohnSmith85

Gothic architecture has little if anything to do with goths of today...
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by blake1221
Emo is a style of music, nothing more, nothing less. Any style related to that scene is probably akin more to a subdued punk than what most people call it.

"Faux" Emo, we'll call what people generally think emo is. F-emo is the whole wear black, write shitty poetry, studded belts and black hair with certain dyes. It's just a fashion, and a mindset that's for fun for 14 year olds to run with for some reason. F-emo bands can range from the ones that everyone points to (The Used) to any of the overly depressive kinda bands that write "emo" lyrics.

More or less, this:

Scene would be the result of those same kids fast forwarding two years. And whereas originally everything was dark, they keep the fundamentals but go obscenely bright and childish. Hair styles get bigger and more flamboyant, girls' make up gets a bit crazier. Blonde and bright highlights are more preferable than the dark stuff, but you can still have dark shit and be scene. Scene is not angst, it's little girls and boys going crazy with their make up and hair. Also, piercings out the ass.

Goth as we know it, does not come from thousands of years ago, it comes from the 80's when some post punk bands started going in a different direction. People taking pale make up, all black and lot's of throwback clothing are just styles picked up along the way.

Damn I just got schooled ! I thought goth had been a subculture for thousands of years. I am dissapoint to hear it came out in the 80's . I find gothic girls to be insanely attractive for some reason. And yeah, scene kids can go to hell. I wish everyone listened to you, because I can't even begin to tell you how many people I hear everyday who think emo/goth/scene are all the exact same things.
What was this thread about again?
"CHOOSE YOUR FATE AND DIE!!"

-- Do as I say, not as I do. --
Quote by Onzaso
What was this thread about again?

gay subcultures that like to pretend to be depressed?
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Yeah, if you are essentially a saddish person it becomes a defining part of you and you become unable to really change. I ( irl ) try to act as happy as i possibly can but the truth is that when i'm laughing or smiling it does not feel as real as when i'm sad or even serious! Shit's ****ed up.
Page 1 of 2