Ive been on gumtree alot and ive seen some gibsons and fenders in my price range. i really like fenders single coil sound and i love their look. with gibson, they have always had somthing with me, and theres always been a small part that likes them in me. i know they are over rated. my budget is £280 to £300 so theres more fenders than gibsons. i seen a deluxe fender strat but itll probably be away by the time i have my money in october. i play alot of classic and hard rock. also some indie and metallica/80's metal. ill be playing all the downtuned ridiculous metal with my other guitar. WHATS DA BEST 4 ME?
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Personally since you'd be getting a really loww end gibby I'd go with the strat.
Also I hate to say it but an amp might be a bit more of an upgrade for you Atm.
If it has to be a guitar try to buy used, youll get (usually) a way better guitar for your money. It just wont look as nice maybe.
I'd get a gibson, and if anything slap some EMGS or blackouts or something in it
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
the studios are not really that bad. same pickups as the $4,000usd Gibson Custom. Big mid hump in those pickups, i personally do not like them but I have been able to find some great tones out of my friends studio. If you do buy used AVOID AVOID AVOID the ones with the PCB board. Thus, older is better. This is such wide question of "what to get" both guitars have much different areas of expertise in music.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I'd go with none. With your budget you can get a lot more with another, cheaper brand. Let's just say that at this price range, you can get a much better PRS(as an example) than a fender.
The reason for that is that when it comes to brands, you pay a little something extra for the brand name. And since the guitar is cheap, you don't really get anything in return. At such low prices both will sounds the same, do to the cheap material, but the Fender will cost more...
Fender & Gibson(and all other big brands, like marshal) are great at a high budget.
And no, Squire by Fender is complete shit. Don't know about Epiphone, though.

As for your question - Fender is good For Jazz & classic, softer rock, while Gibson goes for Hard rock and heavy Metal. Both are good for blues, but different types of blues.

Try another brand. I wanted a Les Paul, and got myself a PRS Tremonti SE. Gibson sued PRS for that model, saying that it was a copy of the Les Paul. They sound pretty much the same, but the PRS Costs a LOT less and sounds just great. Oh, and PRS recently lowered their prices.
Quote by DimebagZappa
You can buy the jonas brothers gibby studio for REALLY CHEAP and just peel off the lame sticker.

Isn't there also something on the truss rod cover?
And the PRS person is right
Take a look at PRS for that price range
Quote by DimebagZappa
Personally since you'd be getting a really loww end gibby I'd go with the strat.
Also I hate to say it but an amp might be a bit more of an upgrade for you Atm.
If it has to be a guitar try to buy used, youll get (usually) a way better guitar for your money. It just wont look as nice maybe.

im getting a jet city jca20h and a harley benton g112
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by eyalcisv
I'd go with none. With your budget you can get a lot more with another, cheaper brand. Let's just say that at this price range, you can get a much better PRS(as an example) than a fender.
The reason for that is that when it comes to brands, you pay a little something extra for the brand name. And since the guitar is cheap, you don't really get anything in return. At such low prices both will sounds the same, do to the cheap material, but the Fender will cost more...
Fender & Gibson(and all other big brands, like marshal) are great at a high budget.
And no, Squire by Fender is complete shit. Don't know about Epiphone, though.

As for your question - Fender is good For Jazz & classic, softer rock, while Gibson goes for Hard rock and heavy Metal. Both are good for blues, but different types of blues.

Try another brand. I wanted a Les Paul, and got myself a PRS Tremonti SE. Gibson sued PRS for that model, saying that it was a copy of the Les Paul. They sound pretty much the same, but the PRS Costs a LOT less and sounds just great. Oh, and PRS recently lowered their prices.

its not epiphone or squire. its proper fender standard, or a deluxe if its on, and a gibson proper one. my budget is £280 so i would have to go used with prs.
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by M_16A
I'd get a gibson, and if anything slap some EMGS or blackouts or something in it

If you're just gonna slap EMGs on it, then just get an Epiphone or a Vintage. No need to waste all that money on a Gibson if you're just gonna piss away all the tone by installing actives.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
If you're just gonna slap EMGs on it, then just get an Epiphone or a Vintage. No need to waste all that money on a Gibson if you're just gonna piss away all the tone by installing actives.

nah, im not gonna change the pickups on it if i get it, but i think im getting a fender or prs. i wont be playing much metal but i might get a hss just for a fatter tone
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
nah, im not gonna change the pickups on it if i get it, but i think im getting a fender or prs. i wont be playing much metal but i might get a hss just for a fatter tone

pretty sound thought process imo, i'd say the HSS would be much better suited than 3 singles. good luck.
Quote by gregs1020
pretty sound thought process imo, i'd say the HSS would be much better suited than 3 singles. good luck.

yeah, cheers. its in october/beginning of november i will be buying so i will have my mind made up by then!
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700