I need to decide what to do with my cabinet.

its a mesa 412 with C90 blackshadow speakers which arent working for my amp.

so my options are: buy a new set of speakers (2 v30s and 2 K100s) for about 500$ or buy a new 2x12 cabinet and sell my current cab.

the cabs id buy if i was buying a 2x12 would be an orange 212 or a bogner OS 212.

so which option would you guys recommend?

also, the mesa cab has a fair bit of dings and scrapes in the tolex, supposedly its from the 90s but its been around alot. but from a distance it looks to be in reasonably good condition. would 400-500$ be reasonable to expect for it?

heres my cab:

i am not 100% sure, but your mesa cab looks like the one with C90's and EVM-12L's. i am basing that off the fact that it is a 90's cab and the models with split backing plates tended to have C90's and EVM-12L's in it. that could raise the value a little more. i'd at least take off the backing plates to find out.

if that is the case then i'd sell the cab as-is cuz there are [a limited number of] people who know what those cabs are and want them. those were considered, by a number of people, to be really badass mesa cabs.

i use a ppc212 myself, i love the hell outta it. i loaded a couple of webers in my ppc, but your combination would work very well for a modern sound. i'd be kinda loath to replace speakers in the mesa cuz that is a badass mesa.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
well i have checked the back before, the top 2 are C90s for sure. the bottom 2 spekers say vintage blackshadow and for a model it says VS-12 i think.

originally the top half was open, but one of the owners added a conversion board for the top half to make it a fully closed back cab.

the other guitarist in my band is going to buy an orange 212 soon, and i could buy one too if i wanted but i can also buy a bogner oversized 212 for 100$ more....
Its a cool cab, I would just swap the speakers unless you want something smaller for portability reasons. Because it is damaged, you won't get as much if you try to sell it.
WTLTL 2011
i will take gut shots later tonight to show, because the inside contruction is kinda odd

also, the damage is actrually from before i bought it, since ive had it its gotten one or 2 nicks at most on it
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Aug 29, 2011,
I'd sell it and get a new cab, the old Mesas are ugly as ****
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd sell it and get a new cab, the old Mesas are ugly as ****

Agreed. My local Musicgoround has at least 3 of these in stock all the time. They sound great, but i just can't get over that look. To ts: both of the cabs you're considering are really great. I especially liked the bogner.
i think they look sexy....

That being said, I prefer cloth and strait cabs. Sell that thang. Or try swapping out the speakers. Isolate the 2 different kinds and pull the ones you don't like.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
well i think if i were to keep the cab, id redo the top conversion panel, its made of some really cheap wood, and isnt tolexed at all, plus avatar quoted me under 400$ for a full set (2 v30, 2 k100) and itd come out to like 400 with shipping, so a pretty good deal there, just not too sure if i should keep my 4x12 for now, especially since i plan on filling out a 4u rack for my amp too later in the year.

im thinking ill make a local ad for it soon, and see if i get offers with the price i want, if not then ill keep it and change speakers

EDIT: oh btw,what speakers do the sheffields in 6505 slant cabs resemble? because i remeber when i tried my amp in the store through one of those cabs it was amazing
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by Seanthesheep
oh btw,what speakers do the sheffields in 6505 slant cabs resemble? because i remeber when i tried my amp in the store through one of those cabs it was amazing

Who knows. They sound horrid though, so if you loved it through that cab, there must be something wrong with yours
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Peavey cabs are genraly crap, good construction, really bad speakers. The Sheffields are very harsh and abrasive sounding.
Now if it has old scorpions or BW's those are pretty diecent.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i dont know, the C90s just have way to much high end, and it doesnt mix well with my amp, and i remeber (so does the other guitarist in my band) that the amp was like jaw dropping in the store through a normal 6505 slant cab, and this was suprising because i know about the peavey cab rep
certain speakers I don't care for with some amp, but with others they sound friggin awesome. I really like Eminence V12's but if your amp has no high end don't use them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
right now it feels like the amp has no low end, the C90 are the slanted up speakers so think im mainly hearing them, but theres almsot no low end and wayyyyy to much high end.