Page 1 of 5
I want to get a banner tattoo on the back of my right arm and wanted to verify the translation for "Death before dishonor" into Irish. Google Translate gives me this: Bás roimh obadh. I just wanted to know if this is an accurate translation or not? As I'm planning to make it a permanent fixture on my body, I want to get it right.
Sounds like a cool tattoo, care to post the design?
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Asking the Pit is definitely the right thing to do.

Why would anyone here ever steer you wrong?
Quote by institutions
Asking the Pit is definitely the right thing to do.

Why would anyone here ever steer you wrong?

Some here know Irish I'm sure.

I do, at least.
Quote by creelers

I do, at least.

Me to!

Yeah that's right although I'd use ''easonóir'' for dishonour.
The MacQuillins were a warlike clan whose family motto was "Death Before Dishonor" ("Bás Roimh Obadh"). They were the Lords of Route from the late 13th C until they were displaced by the Clan MacDonald after losing two major battles against them during the mid and late-16th C. The last MacQuillin Clan Chieftain in Ireland was Rory Óg MacQuillin who was quoted as saying "No captain of the MacQuillin Clan ever died in bed." In the second decisive battle in 1583 Rory killed the opposing Clan Chieftain in single combat on the first day and was himself killed on the second day in the general battle.

^ I just got that from the Dunluce Castle wiki page, so I'm sure it's correct.
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
Quote by conor-figgy
Me too!

It does look a bit a cooler than obadh.
It always seemed a bit strange to me that someone would get a tattoo is a language that they do not understand.

Having said that, at least get the tattoo in Irish Script

Or else get it in Ogham

"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by conor-figgy
Me to!

It's a bit gaeilgish though don't you think?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Oh dear god. Do you have anything to do with Ireland whatsoever? If not, this is rather pathetic.

It's like all the white thrash getting tattoos of random latin sayings and think they are wise and deep. Makes me laugh and feel sad at the same time.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by creelers

I do, at least.

Oh, I know people on here know Irish.

I could also imagine you telling him the wrong thing so his tattoo is grammatically incorrect and/or completely different than what he wants
Quote by institutions
Oh, I know people on here know Irish.

I could also imagine you telling him the wrong thing so his tattoo is grammatically incorrect and/or completely different than what he wants

That'd be a little mean now.
Get it in French.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Actually it's "Póg Mo Thóin" ...
Another Irishman who only knows one sentence in Gaelic?
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
I think getting an Ireland related tattoo is pathetic unless you have Irish parents or grandparents. But just because you're a redhead or your aunt's mother's great great grandmother was Irish, or even just your great grandparents, is stupid.

Just my opinion though. If you really want it, go for it, no one is stopping you
Quote by WhiskeyFace
An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithreas? Le do thoil, a múinteoir.

I got a D2 in ordinary level

I'm happy I passed ....

Ní nach féidir leat dul chuig an leithreas.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithreas? Le do thoil, a múinteoir.
...pfft everyone knows real Irishmen emigrate
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
I'm tempted to correct Irish grammatical errors but I'm afraid I'll be wrong even though some are quite blatant....
Quote by conor-figgy
I'm tempted to correct Irish grammatical errors but I'm afraid I'll be wrong even though some are quite blatant....

I haven't done Irish in years.
Eh, it does literally mean that, but the grammar is a bit clunky. If you want it to be more accurate, get "Is breá liom feidhmiú gnéas béil ar fhir, ach teacht ar an brollach embarrassing agus awkward. Tá mé freisin masochist. B'fhearr liom é má bhuail tú dom in aghaidh go dtí gur thit mé os a chionn, agus do bod a chur i mo bhéal gan focal a rá. Freisin nach bhfuil labhairt faoi seo a tattoo, toisc go mbeidh sé i gcuimhne dom ar mo eagla na snáthaidí. Getting an tattoo bhí ceart go leor, mar gheall ar fhorbair liom an eagla a bhí tar éis gotten agam cheana féin ar an tattoo."
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by whalepudding
Eh, it does literally mean that, but the grammar is a bit clunky. If you want it to be more accurate, get "Is breá liom feidhmiú gnéas béil ar fhir, ach teacht ar an brollach embarrassing agus awkward. Tá mé freisin masochist. B'fhearr liom é má bhuail tú dom in aghaidh go dtí gur thit mé os a chionn, agus do bod a chur i mo bhéal gan focal a rá. Freisin nach bhfuil labhairt faoi seo a tattoo, toisc go mbeidh sé i gcuimhne dom ar mo eagla na snáthaidí. Getting an tattoo bhí ceart go leor, mar gheall ar an eagla fhorbair liom tar éis fuair mé an tattoo."

Oh my.

Graphic.
Don't get a tattoo with Irish on it, it looks silly unless you're actually Irish.

Also if you ever stray into the wrong part of Northern Ireland, you might get the shit beaten out of you for it
My dad is 3/4 Irish and 1/4 German, so it is the majority of my heritage. My mom is a "mutt".
Quote by bklinger83
My dad is 3/4 Irish and 1/4 German, so it is the majority of my heritage. My mom is a "mutt".

Doesn't that make you more 'mutt' than Irish? Everyone is a mutt anyway.
Are you Irish, as in an Irish national... or are you just American and claiming to be Irish just so you can pretend, just because you're grandparents are Irish, that you have a more interesting heritage than you actually do?

Cuz if it's the second then kill your self.

*reads thread*

Just kill your self. I hate this American idea that you can claim to be something just cuz you have a tiny bit of Blood in you that's Irish or Scottish or what ever.

My dad is 100% Scottish but guess wut...

...I'm still English.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Aug 29, 2011,
There are right bits of Northern Ireland?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by bklinger83

Which makes you 3/8 Irish at best, especially without knowing what your mom is.
Quote by UraniYum

You've posted that twice in this thread for attention.
Here's your attention...
Get the fuck out.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Pagan-Pie
Don't get a tattoo with Irish on it, it looks silly unless you're actually Irish.

Also if you ever stray into the wrong part of Northern Ireland, you might get the shit beaten out of you for it

Likewise if you get it wrong the other half will also kick the shit out of you. It's a great country I live in
"Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
Page 1 of 5