I was wondering if it's safe to tune a low B string to D, like for Drop D songs. If anyone knows it is, how's the tension? Is it easy to play? Or would I be better off just putting a second E string where the B string goes? Thanks in advance for the responses.
Quote by jfreyvogel
This kid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdkzgUIWXBY > Greenday and Paramore

espChris93 wrote:
The connection between a catholic church and Slayer seems more likely anyway, they're both filled with hypocrites and have blind followers.
Quote by CobainReborn
I was wondering if it's safe to tune a low B string to D, like for Drop D songs. If anyone knows it is, how's the tension? Is it easy to play? Or would I be better off just putting a second E string where the B string goes? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Disclaimer I dont have a 5 string.

That said you can do it tune up to D, It wouldnt hurt the bass, but it would feel weird.

I have played a 5 string and tuned it up nothing happened to the bass, it dodnt snap the string or damage it in anyway.
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
The only issue I can think of is the extra tension will put additional strain on the neck, so the truss rod may need adjusting
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
You'd be putting a small amount of tension on the neck by tuning it higher. Luckily a think chunk of wood and a truss rod are stronger than a bass string. You'll have to re-adjust the rod in this case.

I don't see a major danger in it, I wouldn't however reccomend tuning it higher without first setting the B string up (Saddle height/action/string lengh, IE cutting the string longer when fresh out of the packet). Otherwise you get a string that feels tight and strange, the action would probably be too high for comfort and it may not stay in tune as well. That last one is a very small chance by the way.

Hope this helps!
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
Last edited by MR.Shamanistica at Aug 29, 2011,
Just move everything you would normally play on the E string up 3 frets and play it on the B, saves tuning and it will be more bassier
If you insist on tuning to drop D with a 5 string, why not just drop the E?

Either do that, or as Urburno said, play on the B.

B (3rd fret) > open D. Far less rattle.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Id just drop the E to D....
Regardless of the tension added to the neck and the possible issues that may have... It will probably feel like your playing on a metal rod rather than a string.
or you could just get a lighter B string (obviously heavier than your E string, though) for D. That way it'd be tuned DEADG. You don't even have to buy a new set of strings just get a single for the low D.
Quote by I'm A Shark
or you could just get a lighter B string (obviously heavier than your E string, though) for D. That way it'd be tuned DEADG. You don't even have to buy a new set of strings just get a single for the low D.

Yeah, have done this in the past and it seems to work fine. As long as its only a temporary solution, 'cause it can feel strange having one very tense, tight string and 4 other normal ones XD

I still agree with the others that if you have a low B string, why not just play with what you have, i.e. 3rd fret on B = same as Open on D :/
He who knows all, knows nothing in the eye of a imbecile.
Maybe you can get a DeTuner for your E-string so you can drop it easily when needed and keep the B as it was.
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
i wouldnt tune up the B myself. i would either play the 3rd fret on the B or drop the E.
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Quote by Urburno
Just move everything you would normally play on the E string up 3 frets and play it on the B, saves tuning and it will be more bassier

+1
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Maybe tune ADABG? Or just drop the E if you don't need the low A.
Professional lurker since 2009.
Alright, I think I'll just get myself accustomed to using 3rd fret B, or, do you guys know how much a DeTuner would cost? It doesn't sound like a bad idea, I think I saw one on a Van Halen sig.
Quote by jfreyvogel
This kid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdkzgUIWXBY > Greenday and Paramore

espChris93 wrote:
The connection between a catholic church and Slayer seems more likely anyway, they're both filled with hypocrites and have blind followers.
Quote by CobainReborn
do you guys know how much a DeTuner would cost? It doesn't sound like a bad idea, I think I saw one on a Van Halen sig.

Hipshot Xtenders will around start at around $60-$70 and get more expensive depending on what kind of tuning machine (as in what brand/type you're replacing), the color you're after, and if you want a lightweight version or not.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I have a KAWAI 4 string Bass with a Hip-Shot, and I swear by it. Real easy to install yourself and when set up right, you can Drop to D and come back up to E in the same song without loosing any intonation.

Of course I've had mine for about 15 years and don't know how much one would cost today, heck I can't even remember how much it cost 15 years ago...lol.
I'd reccomend tunning ADABG, or buying a six string set and discarding the B string, and tuning DADGC
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I wants an cools avatar like everyones too
Last edited by megaduu at Aug 30, 2011,