Hey guys, any tips on sustaining a bend? Whenever I tried doing multiple bends by picking only once, it always loses its sound and I cant sustain it for a long time. I was hoping to bending like Avenged Sevenfold's Seize The Day's solo. So any tips on it?
you might not be applying enough pressure, or you might just need better pickups if you have really crappy ones.
What's your setup? I have the same problem sometimes when using my Pod. Check the settings.

Could just be pickups if they're stock or cheap.

Add some vibrato
1.Add slight vibrato to the bent note

2.You might be playing on a crappy amp
Tell us your gear before asking something like that.
It helps since we don't know where the sustain problem is at.

Weak pickups have very little to do with sustain actually.
Quote by cisco444
Tell us your gear before asking something like that.
It helps since we don't know where the sustain problem is at.

Weak pickups have very little to do with sustain actually.

I love the bends in that song. To practice bends like gates, you need to practice bending all the way up 2 steps and all the way back down and up again without picking (well you pick the first time obviously). He has extremely wide vibrato and bends but once you learn it, it just sounds super tasty.
Quote by Zeletros

No offence, but you don't half talk out of your arse sometimes.

I'll tell you how "weak" pickups can affect sustain - they can improve it because there's less magnetic pull on the strings. Either way they're not the issue here, number one suspect is a crappily set up guitar, number two is poor technique, number three is a poorly eq'd amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have a lot of trouble sustaining bends, because sometimes I lose the string when I'm bending. That's where a scalloped fretboard sounds most appropriate. I'd scallop a fretboard on one of your guitars, or pay to get it scalloped. I'm scalloping my first right now and it's a lot of hard work sanding all the frets.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Quote by fretmaster13
I have a lot of trouble sustaining bends, because sometimes I lose the string when I'm bending. That's where a scalloped fretboard sounds most appropriate. I'd scallop a fretboard on one of your guitars, or pay to get it scalloped. I'm scalloping my first right now and it's a lot of hard work sanding all the frets.

That sounds like bad technique more than anything else.

TS, just practice bending, vibrato, etc. and good sustain will come in time. If your set-up is bad, as well, you should learn to adjust your guitar to be as comfortable for you as possible, but a lot of it comes from pure practice and adaptation.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
The type of guitar you have can be a major factor when it comes to sustaining notes, neck-thru guitars have much better sustain than bolt ons, the amount of gain you use on your amp/distortion pedal etc or the volume/tone settings you use on your guitar. Pickups are also a major factor with the amount of output the have/don't have, but yea as someone in this thread has already said you really need to tell about your gear setup before we can decide weather its equipment or technique related issues.
I'm using an Ibanez Gio, the budget one. I don't know the exact model for it. It's got a single coil pick up in between 2 humbuckles. I'm using an Alwin Beta amplifier. Everytime I try bending, the sound just keeps fading away. Any more help?
Quote by Hail
That sounds like bad technique more than anything else.

TS, just practice bending, vibrato, etc. and good sustain will come in time. If your set-up is bad, as well, you should learn to adjust your guitar to be as comfortable for you as possible, but a lot of it comes from pure practice and adaptation.

You sound like bad technique personified.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
I have the exact same problem on the exact same solo. I only have problems with the bend on the 18th fret on e. Try using your pinky for that bend if you aren't already, it helps me sustain the note.
yeah weak pickups have nothing to do with it.. I can sustain a bend for quite a long time without even plugging in my guitar.. its just technique and practice
Quote by fretmaster13
You sound like bad technique personified.

Real mature... especially since he's right.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Ok guys, pickups do affect a little bit of sustain but is not major. Sustain is in the fingers and guitar set up. Old string also affect the sustain.

I have a custom strat that sustains for a long time, more than the SG i have.

You might consider that you are probably not gonna get much sustain if you are playing at bedroom levels. Take your guitar to a tech and have him intonate it, set up string action, and pickup height. Also get new string (Cleatones 10's) my personal recommendation.
It would have something to do with the guitar itself. If it I'd a bolt on neck as opposed to a glued in neck it wouldnt sustain as well. Also, when you bend, use more than one finger to actually bend the string.
Quote by FenderMayer
It would have something to do with the guitar itself. If it I'd a bolt on neck as opposed to a glued in neck it wouldnt sustain as well. Also, when you bend, use more than one finger to actually bend the string.

That's utter poppycock I'[m afraid.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com