Hi guys,
As the title says I am looking at buying a new guitar for my birthday and I'm having trouble deciding between a PRS Custom 24, PRS Custom 22, PRS Studio, Gretsch White Falcon or some other semi-hollowbody (without humbuckers, so generally not gibsons)

I currently have a Gibson Les Paul Studio which I love but I am looking for a guitar that is a bit more versatile when it comes to the tones that I can make with it. my amp is a Vox AC15 which I don't plan on changing any time soon because I love the warm bluesy tone that it gives in comparison fender amps for example.

Anyway, the style of music that I play is generally Classic Rock, funk rock and Blues and occasionally Hard Rock, so I am not a huge fan of distortion and I prefer a crunchy overdriven tone or completely clean. My influences are: John Frusciante, Jimi Hendrix, and Slash. I have heard that P-90 Pickups are great for this kind of music but they aren't versatile and they give a lot of feedback. Can you guys please confirm this or unconfirm it. The reason I am looking at the PRS Guitars is because they have humbuckers and single coil cause they have coil tapping and they have great playability and tone and The PRS Studio has 2 Narrowfield pickups (and mix of single-coil p-90 and humbuckers and 1 humbucker. I am also looking at the: Duesenberg Starplayer TV.

I dont want a Strat, it just doesn't really catch my eye like the PRS Guitars or the white falcon (not only cause of the looks).

Please suggest which of these guitars I should get and whether I should get a semi-hollow body or solid body!!!!

Any other suggestions are welcome but please don't suggest a strat or guitar with humbuckers that can't be coil tapped - I don't want to have to modify it, I don't have the patience!! Remember to tell me which on my list you would get (if you were me) and why!

Thanks
Would get the PRS custom 24 looks nice, has nice tone, has 24 frets.I would totally take that one over anything else on that list.
hmmm i always wanted gretsch ^^
but for you the PSR custom 24 really looks to be best fit

also...doesn't white falcon have humbuckers in it? I think only the original from 50's had single-coils, the new ones have filtertron humbuckers
Quote by KorYi
hmmm i always wanted gretsch ^^
but for you the PSR custom 24 really looks to be best fit

also...doesn't white falcon have humbuckers in it? I think only the original from 50's had single-coils, the new ones have filtertron humbuckers

I'm quite sure it has a certain kind of modified p-90 (I think it's call p-94's). But I'll check!

Edit: the new ones have either dyna-sonic single coils or filtertron humbucking pickups.
Last edited by itamar101 at Aug 29, 2011,
I'd say the custom 24 from your list seems like it would meet your specs the best. As for the P-90s, they have imo, a great sound for blues. What's cool about them is that you get all the warmth of a humbucker, while retaining the clarity of a single coil. I think versatility all depends on your personal sound tastes, because really you can play metal with a strat, if you like how it sounds. As for feedback, since they are single coils in nature, you are gonna get some feedback, but no more than a normal single coil. Hope all that helps .
I have had my eye on a prs for a while. If your going to get one I would go for the custom 22. I think its cheaper than the 24 and I mean really, how often do you use 24 frets. If its a lot than yeah get the 24. I love the santana version. Im pretty sure it has the humbuckers that can be single coil tapped. They are beautiful guitars. I thought about getting the Santana SE. Its a whole lot cheaper and looks the same. It may not sound as good as the $2,500 version but its close and plug up to a veverb pedal and put some light od on it and youll never tell. Especially on a decent amp. Good luck bud. I think Ill get mine at tax time!!!
Fender US Strat-Fender MX Strat-Fender US Tele-Epiphone Sheraton II>Cry Baby Wah-Boss TU3-Nano clean boost-Boss SD1-BBE Green Screamer-Mxr '78 Distortion-Visual Sound Chorus-Digitech Digi Delay-HardWire RV7 Reverb-Digitech Jamman>Fender Frontman 212R
By the way, and I just thought of this question after reading what i wrote after i sent it and was looking at my gear in the sig. is there anyother reason that you dont want a strat other than you said they dont catch your eye like a prs. Because John and Jimi both play fender strats. And for the money you spend on a custom prs you could a custom shop strat and make it look pretty much anyway you want. Granted youll have to wait a year aftyer you order it to get it but it may be worth it to you. In my personal opinion, nothing sounds better than a strat! Espesically that single coil nedck pickup. Makes me have an eargasm everytime!
Fender US Strat-Fender MX Strat-Fender US Tele-Epiphone Sheraton II>Cry Baby Wah-Boss TU3-Nano clean boost-Boss SD1-BBE Green Screamer-Mxr '78 Distortion-Visual Sound Chorus-Digitech Digi Delay-HardWire RV7 Reverb-Digitech Jamman>Fender Frontman 212R
Last edited by blueslover26 at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by blueslover26
By the way, and I just thought of this question after reading what i wrote after i sent it and was looking at my gear in the sig. is there anyother reason that you dont want a strat other than you said they dont catch your eye like a prs. Because John and Jimi both play fender strats. And for the money you spend on a custom prs you could a custom shop strat and make it look pretty much anyway you want. Granted youll have to wait a year aftyer you order it to get it but it may be worth it to you. In my personal opinion, nothing sounds better than a strat! Espesically that single coil nedck pickup. Makes me have an eargasm everytime!

I dont really know why i dont like strats! they just dont work for me, and the neck is to thin in my opinion, i actually find the les paul neck to be much more comfortable than a strat neck. I think it has to do with the fact that i really love fat full tones, which a strat doesnt have but les paul do. i find that the advantage of a P90 pickup is that although it is Single-coil in nature it is a great mix between the fat humbucker and bite of a single coil. although i have to admit that hendrix and frusciante make a strat sound better than a gibson anyday... i just dont have that sort of talent!

Edit: i took a look at your gear and saw how great most of it was until i saw the fender frontman and asked myself why you didnt upgrade your amp to a tube amp... it can make all the difference as i found out when i upgraded my Ibanez TBX30R to a Vox AC15 and then went on holiday with my ibanez cause the Vox was to big and was hugely dissapointed with how bad the Ibanez suddenly sounded and and how much feedback ther was in comparison with the vox
Last edited by itamar101 at Aug 29, 2011,
I just realized there are 4 "second guitar" threads on the first page

Have you looked into Suhr guitars?
Quote by W4RP1G
I just realized there are 4 "second guitar" threads on the first page

Have you looked into Suhr guitars?

yes i did a while ago as i was interested in getting a Pensa Custom Guitar but the Prices were way to expensive (around $6000) but i found out that john suhr used to work there so i checked him out but i am not to fond of his designs and theres no point of getting a guitar that doesnt look and feel like treasure to me every time i open the case because that dissapoints me (YES, I AM VERY STUBBORN)!!!!
Edit: i took a look at your gear and saw how great most of it was until i saw the fender frontman and asked myself why you didnt upgrade your amp to a tube amp... it can make all the difference as i found out when i upgraded my Ibanez TBX30R to a Vox AC15 and then went on holiday with my ibanez cause the Vox was to big and was hugely dissapointed with how bad the Ibanez suddenly sounded and and how much feedback ther was in comparison with the vox

Im actually saving up for an egnater renegade 65. The head is a mixture of two different tubes with a tube mixer knob for both channels (
the clean and dirty) Its pretty steep though. The head is $999.99 and the cab with 2 12'' celstians is 500.00. I totaly agree I need to update! I gig with a marshall valvestate. Its a tube mix with solidstate. But its still not the real deal. Ill have it soon though!!! Thanks for advice. You said "most" what else did you not like other than the 212r?
Quote by blueslover26

Im actually saving up for an egnater renegade 65. The head is a mixture of two different tubes with a tube mixer knob for both channels (
the clean and dirty) Its pretty steep though. The head is $999.99 and the cab with 2 12'' celstians is 500.00. I totaly agree I need to update! I gig with a marshall valvestate. Its a tube mix with solidstate. But its still not the real deal. Ill have it soon though!!! Thanks for advice. You said "most" what else did you not like other than the 212r?

Sorry I Meant everything except the 212r, you have a great rig!
lol no worrys man, just courious! thanks