Hey All,

So I have a Line 6 Spider 150 amp head, seen here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/line-6-spider-iv-hd150-150w-guitar-amp-head/620213000001000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=385306300

And right now I have a rocky 4x12 crate cabinet, that gets the job done but obviously leaves much to be desired in the way of tone.

Clearly money is an issue for me, or I probably wouldn't have either of these... So I know that I could go sell my car and get a sick tube stack rig, but that's not where I'm at currently.

I have about $300ish to spend. And I'm seriously considering one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/orange-amplifiers-ppc-series-ppc112-60w-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/424051000386000?src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Interestingly enough, the one I tried at guitar center claimed to have 120 watt output, not 60. But I hooked up the same head to Orange Cab and also a Mesa (also a 1x12). I was not too impressed with the latter. But I loved the Orange. I thought it sounded great, all things considered.

Here's my question, since amps have never really been a specialty of mine I wanted to see if I was making any kind of huge mistake, or anything of the sort. As I said I know I could upgrade my whole rig and get some nasty tone, but right now, I really enjoy that head, and I want to just pick up a new cab to try to get a better sound of it.

I greatly appreciate any tips, suggestions, warnings, what have you of things I haven't thought of (probably a lot of stuff..... ).

Thanks.
...is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."
to try to get a better sound of it

While a nice cab, the Orange won't significantly improve your tone. Also, it's only 60w. The one you tried was probably the 2x12, which is 120 watts. Why not sell the Spider for ~$300, double your current budget of $300 and get a good tube combo?
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by Strat007
While a nice cab, the Orange won't significantly improve your tone. Also, it's only 60w. The one you tried was probably the 2x12, which is 120 watts. Why not sell the Spider for ~$300, double your current budget of $300 and get a good tube combo?

I agree with this. Changing cabs will not make much of a difference with that amplifier, and changing the amplifier will still leave you playing through a pretty bad cab. I'd sell both for a fresh start.

Also, if you go cab I personally wouldn't get anything smaller than 2x12 (unless you can't lug it around or something). Cabinet dimensions matter, and a 2x12 will sound fuller than a 1x12.

Another thing to consider is how much the cab can handle. You don't want to get a 150w head and a 60w cab, unless you are very sure you're not going to push the amp very hard.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 29, 2011,
seismic 2x12 with eminence speakers
it will still come in handy if you get a different amp a few years later
Quote by Hunter44
seismic 2x12 with eminence speakers
it will still come in handy if you get a different amp a few years later

eewww
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Alright, a few things.

1) As been said, the cab you tried in the store was most likely a 2x12.

2) If you're gigging you usually want to go with a 2x12 for speaker handling/break up reasons.

3) You're really wanting to run a 150 watt amp through a 60 watt speaker? While speakers are conservatively rated and can usually handle around 1 1/2 times their rating (some can handle a little more, some can handle a little less) you'd still be looking at roughly 90 watts handling. While you could get away with running this amp at low volumes with a 1x12 cab, you have to remember that the 150 watt rating on your amp is the RMS rating and the amp can peak well about 150 watts.

4) The Spider series are stereo amps - they have a left and right output, rather than two mono outputs. While you can run one side or the other, certain effects sound best when ran in stereo.

5) Taking everything else into consideration, you're best bet for right now would probably be to replace the speakers in your current cab. While cab construction does play a role on the overall tone - I personally think that new speakers in your current cab would do more for your tone than a brand new cab that falls into your budget.
First, thanks for the help.

Second, I wonder if the cab in the store was labelled incorrectly, because it claimed to be 120W, and I ran the spider as a mono out 75W and tried it pretty damn near close to full blast, and wouldn't it of sounded god awful if it really was a 60W amp? That being said, even if I got the 120W, 2x12, that was priced as a 1x12 because they're not paying attention (wouldn't be the first time), I WOULD still be overloading it stereo, which from most of your opinions sounds not worth it?

That all being said, I did notice a DRAMATIC difference in the sound. The difference from my crate 4x12 to the standard line 6 4x12 was slight, but then the jump from that to the orange was huge. Especially in the cleans, they sounded so full and thick, and I'll be honest, I loved it. Distortion even sounded more refined.

But to shed some light on why I'm very reluctant to trade in the Line 6 and go for a brand new combo, I'm attached to it, and my band is in the middle of recording a CD. So a lot of effects that I have dialed in on my head are specific sounds that fit very well to certain songs of ours. This whole new Cab idea sprouted because my cleans on the CD were lacking, not really any complaints anywhere else.
...is that the primary ingredient is something called "olean" which I have since learned is Latin for "Unwashable & Indestructible Ass Grease."
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Alright, a few things.

1) As been said, the cab you tried in the store was most likely a 2x12.

2) If you're gigging you usually want to go with a 2x12 for speaker handling/break up reasons.

3) You're really wanting to run a 150 watt amp through a 60 watt speaker? While speakers are conservatively rated and can usually handle around 1 1/2 times their rating (some can handle a little more, some can handle a little less) you'd still be looking at roughly 90 watts handling. While you could get away with running this amp at low volumes with a 1x12 cab, you have to remember that the 150 watt rating on your amp is the RMS rating and the amp can peak well about 150 watts.

4) The Spider series are stereo amps - they have a left and right output, rather than two mono outputs. While you can run one side or the other, certain effects sound best when ran in stereo.

5) Taking everything else into consideration, you're best bet for right now would probably be to replace the speakers in your current cab. While cab construction does play a role on the overall tone - I personally think that new speakers in your current cab would do more for your tone than a brand new cab that falls into your budget.

SS amps dont peak above their rated output. Its tube amps that do that. Unless the output on the pider is a ****ed measure.

Either way, I say get the cab first, and then replace the head as well once yopure done making the album.

If you want a Modeller, a Voc VT or the Peavey Vpyr will do you well.

Also Digitechs modellers might be worth looking at, since ive heard the algorithms are from the RP series, which is quite good (though still far from Axe Fx quality)
Quote by GS LEAD 5
SS amps dont peak above their rated output. Its tube amps that do that. Unless the output on the pider is a ****ed measure.

So let's say I did go with a 2x12 with 120W, or miraculously guitar center did not make a mistake and they properly labelled this extremely hard to find Orange PPC112 1x12 that did have 120W output; I could theoretically run the Spider stereo into the cab, and would be safe if I stayed around 50% max volume?
Quote by sixstringdfreak
So let's say I did go with a 2x12 with 120W, or miraculously guitar center did not make a mistake and they properly labelled this extremely hard to find Orange PPC112 1x12 that did have 120W output; I could theoretically run the Spider stereo into the cab, and would be safe if I stayed around 50% max volume?

My advice?

Remove the speakers in that cab, buy a couple of Eminence Tonkerlites.

There 125W each, voiced like a darker V30 (imagine one minus some treble), and are neodymium IIRC so are way lighter too.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 30, 2011,
So that wouldn't be a huge problem? Aside from a severe loss of headroom I guess?

Where as I think I would be happy with the result of replacing speakers in my cab, it looks like it would cost me almost a little more to do so. Not to mention my lack of experience in actually doing that.
Ok so from what I've read here (this thread and others), along with our recording engineer, I'm getting very convinced on the idea of selling my head and cabinet, plus the $350 I have and hopefully get about $750ish and put that towards a tube combo amp.

So instead of starting an umpteenth 'What amp?!' thread, I'll just keep it going here.

Thoughts, suggestions, warnings of imminent death? I did really love the sound out of the orange, but can only find either their Thunder 1x12 30W or Rocker 1x12 30W, both about 1 grand. And I don't even know if 30W would be enough in a live setting from a tube amp? I was thinking I'd need about 50W? As any place needing louder then that from a tube I would probably have a mic on it.
the Thunder 30 is really worth it! Wanted to buy one myself, but i saw my current amp popping up....

Try to look some harder and used...

Also read the sticky about the new amp threads........

30W is really loud enough for gainy stuff

and ou could always mic it
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
the Thunder 30 is really worth it! Wanted to buy one myself, but i saw my current amp popping up....

Try to look some harder and used...

Also read the sticky about the new amp threads........

30W is really loud enough for gainy stuff

and ou could always mic it

What's your current amp?

I felt like I addressed the majority of this, but missed a couple things maybe, so fair enough.

I have a Super American Highway Fender Strat, I jam and Gig, my PRACTICAL budget with selling current gear would probably be $600 - $700.

Favorite guitarists include : Jimi(my) Hendrix and Page, Jack White, Tom Morrello, Mike Einziger, Dave Knudson, Ray Toro, Buckethead... To name a few.

I live in Cincinnati, currently with a Line 6 Spider 150 and a crate 4x12 cabinet, and finally am totally willing for new or used if the price / gear is right.