my friend is getting his second guitar (first electric) soon and he wants me to help him pick one out. now it would be easy but his budget for the whole thing including amps and wires is about £200 - £250.

he likes strat and explorer bodies the most, but is looking at humbuckers as the main pickup
now where we're going doesn't have to much choice. i think theres like 1 explorer and thats out of his range and the rest are either jacksons, strats or les pauls with the occasional telecaster

what do you think is best for him?
He really should go used for that kinda budget. If it's just for home use then he could probably pick up a roland cube of some sorts for under £100, and if you hunt around sites like ebay, gumtree, preloved, guitar mart and similar sites then you could probably find a guitar he likes to fit in the budget.
Quote by 3OddOnes
my friend is getting his second guitar (first electric) soon and he wants me to help him pick one out. now it would be easy but his budget for the whole thing including amps and wires is about £200 - £250.

he likes strat and explorer bodies the most, but is looking at humbuckers as the main pickup
now where we're going doesn't have to much choice. i think theres like 1 explorer and thats out of his range and the rest are either jacksons, strats or les pauls with the occasional telecaster

what do you think is best for him?

explorer - ESP LTD EX-50
or a Jackson JS32 Kelly

strat - theres many ibanez guitars, that are suitably, but esp ltd are kinda crappy at low range.
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Ibanez GRG170DX, it's got a HSH setup, and a great feel.

you could pick one up in dawsons for £201
link: http://www.dawsons.co.uk/ibanez-grg170dx-jewel-blue

or £199 in dolphin music
link: http://explore.dolphinmusic.co.uk/search?p=Q&asug=GRG17&w=grg170dx

and as for amp...

best thing is to go to your local cash converters and pick up a used MG or spider for £40 and the other tenner on a strap, cable and some plectrums.
alternatively there's this one on ebay for £40 delivered http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-MG15cd-/110734681066?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item19c84d23ea#ht_500wt_1156

as starter rigs go, the guitar is great, i had one, and still have, and i play it fairly often despite having a £600 fender 60's strat and a guitar i've built myself.

but the amp is only really good for a starter amp, nothing better

as i say, for a guitar, the GRG170DX is a great sub £300 guitar, but you might wanna see about telling him to pump his amp budget up to £100 rather than £50, you could get so much more for the extra £50
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
well, i'll see what i can do
the amp may be used for gigging some time early in the next year so what you recomend for that
and i'm not sure if his budget is limited or thats all he's got to spend on it
Quote by 3OddOnes
well, i'll see what i can do
the amp may be used for gigging some time early in the next year so what you recomend for that

pray

pray LOADS

or rob a bank/get more funds from somewhere
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
+1 but really, go used on that thin of a budget.
Theres a few Ibby Rg's going for 150-250£ on ebay and that would be 10x better quality then the gio. Try to find a used roland cube for him as well.
An Ibanez Rg would be a good starter guitar. I have the Rg2ex1 which is mainly a metal guitar. I got a good deal on it used for about $170 if he plays metal I recommend it. It has a strat like shape to it.