Someone here, or maybe several someone's are a member of TAXI - if you are you know what it is. I have recently been contacted by a large Indie Label about my music. The thing is, I wasn't the one shopping my stuff around. I have also been talking to a few songwriting guys out of Nashville who are all into my material and giving me advice about my songs suggesting that they hear something called "prosody" (a new term to me) and that I need to be published and suggesting that I join TAXI. I'm fine with that, but 300.00 is a lot of coin. I'd like to hear your TAXI experiences, if you are a member - I've already told myself if these label talks heat up the first thing I'm getting, is an attorney.

The whole nature and flow of TAXI is a bit ambiguous to me. I think some of you are better versed in it and may be members, I think Axeman Chris was one, but I could be wrong. Anyways, I'm not even done with my album yet and its a little odd to be hearing from a label when I haven't been actively shopping anything. I don't know what to do here, it's a little bit of unknown territory that I wasn't expecting to be faced yet. One area that I'm particularly interested in is getting a good music producer and arranger with an eye on the prize so to speak. Right now I'm doing all the arrangements, but I'm wondering if/how TAXI might help there.

Thanks in advance amigos!

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Aug 29, 2011,
Well, if a label is contacting you, I don't see how you would have any need for Taxi. You'd just be paying them money to do for you what you already seem to have accomplished.
shred is gaudy music
Yeah but it's just one label - and that could go nowhere. Even if nothing comes of it, if anything I would at least take it that somewhere, my writing is on the right track, and that in itself is a benefit/encouragement . But a lot of people are hearing my stuff and saying the same thing...dude you need to get this on TAXI. And that 300.00 fee is a bit steep if Im not sure what Im doing there.

Label interest is all well and good, but I would like to know what if any benefit I will get by being on TAXI and what their personal TAXI stories are, from a nuts and bolts approach.

Sean
Quote by Sean0913
Yeah but it's just one label - and that could go nowhere. Even if nothing comes of it, if anything I would at least take it that somewhere, my writing is on the right track, and that in itself is a benefit/encouragement . But a lot of people are hearing my stuff and saying the same thing...dude you need to get this on TAXI. And that 300.00 fee is a bit steep if Im not sure what Im doing there.

Label interest is all well and good, but I would like to know what if any benefit I will get by being on TAXI and what their personal TAXI stories are, from a nuts and bolts approach.

Sean

Yeah, I've thought about joining TAXI as well. A friend of mine was doing that a few years back. As far as I know he mostly got a bunch of critiques. I don't think he got anything going money wise from it, though It's possible that some people do.

That said, I still get tempted to try it once in a while but like you say $300 is alot, and if you have good people skills, and a marketable product, it's possible that you could open just as many doors on your own. My gut reaction at this point is that it's closer to one of those "work at home and get rich" schemes. The commercials can be alluring, but when you look deeper into it, it's likely that most people that try it aren't actually getting rich (or getting signed or finding work in this case).
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 29, 2011,
I did it for a year and have no regrets about spending the money. They do exactly what they promise to do. It costs exactly what they tell you it costs. There are no surprises, and no tricks.

Their critiques are excellent. They offer constructive criticism, but they are honest.

They provide access to labels and talent buyers. They are, effectively, a screening agency for those entities. The labels and talent buyers don't want to screen through big piles of crap, so they get Taxi to do it, and forward the best of the lot to them to make the final call. Taxi's weeding process is basically the fact that, if you're not serious about it, you won't fork over the $300.

Last I followed them, they even had a money-back guarantee. You sign up and don't like it... you ask for your money back and walk away. Nothing to lose.

Well... almost....

Each time you submit to something, it also costs. I think it's about $5. Basically what that does is ensures that you don't submit to every damned thing they post. They make you be a little more judicious about what you submit to.

Some listings will not provide you with critiques, but those that don't are explicitly clear about that.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.