I've decided that it would be nice to finally have an EQ pedal around. I'm looking for something no-frills. Functional, versatile, quiet (pretty important), and somewhat cheap. What are my options out there? I'm not looking for boutique; just a solid standard EQ pedal. Also, how important is it to have true bypass?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

On a budget I see people recommend the Danelectro Fish & Chips a lot, but I haven't tried it. I would recommend you save a bit for an MXR 10 band EQ. When I tried it I was impressed. No frills but it works well, and quietly.

True bypass is a little tricky. I would personally use it only when a given pedal colors the tone of the amp unfavorably even when disengaged. Other than that having a good buffer will actually help you preserve the signal.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
On a budget I see people recommend the Danelectro Fish & Chips a lot, but I haven't tried it. I would recommend you save a bit for an MXR 10 band EQ. When I tried it I was impressed. No frills but it works well, and quietly.

True bypass is a little tricky. I would personally use it only when a given pedal colors the tone of the amp unfavorably even when disengaged. Other than that having a good buffer will actually help you preserve the signal.

The fish and chips is good, but seems to chuck a fair bit of noise into the sound.

I like the GE-7, twice the price of the Dano, but its better. i've heard good things about the 10 band MXR, but I've never used it.
Quote by hawk5211
The fish and chips is good, but seems to chuck a fair bit of noise into the sound.

I like the GE-7, twice the price of the Dano, but its better. i've heard good things about the 10 band MXR, but I've never used it.

I tried the GE-7 and was appalled. It added a lot of noise for me, and sucked some tone (which is a common complaint from me regarding Boss pedals).

Like I said though, I can't comment on the Fish & Chips as I haven't tried it. I don't know how it compares to the GE-7.
WTLTL 2011
I heard someone in a music shop yesterday mention good things of the MXR eq, saying it gave his tone alot more life over his Boss eq.

Personally don't know much on the topic, though.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
if you want cheaper than the mxr 10 band they also make a 6 band eq. it doesn't have as much control and doesn't have level or gain controls but it seems more or less the same
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
The Fish n Chips is really noisy. If thats one of 2-3 pedals in your chain it will probably be alright, but I could see it getting really bad in a fully loaded pedalboard.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I love my MXR 10 Band. Recommend it completely.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

MXR ten band. It's worth saving up for.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Mark G
I tried the GE-7 and was appalled. It added a lot of noise for me, and sucked some tone (which is a common complaint from me regarding Boss pedals).

Like I said though, I can't comment on the Fish & Chips as I haven't tried it. I don't know how it compares to the GE-7.

I do, since I have both, and trust me, the GE-7 is better.

I don't have as much of an issue with a pedal sucking tone when bypassed because I have a 4 loop switcher for my pedals.
The MXR 10 band eq is pretty much the industry standard for eqs. buy it and you'll never have to change it over the years. I've been using mine for five years and its still going strong. solid pedal, can't recommend it enough!