I have a Marshall 40 Watt AVT 20 amp, and a mexican made fender strat that I just bought a couple months ago. And i don't know if its the amp or the guitar but for the life of me i cannot get any type of sustain or feedback. No matter how much gain is on or how loud the volume is there is just no sustain and it makes me sooo mad lol. I used to be able to get GREAT feedback/sustain with my cheap Yamaha Pacifica and Fender G-Dec. Can anybody help me with this problem??? (And by feedback i mean Jimi Hendrix type high pitched feedback)
Its ironic the problem is usually people can't get rid of feedback but you want some :P Which isn't bad for the record i love my feedback as long as i can control it :P Now your amp does have some tubes in it so i would first recommend swapping those out but before that try to literally shake your guitar in front of the amp at high volume high distortion and if you want take your fretting hand and almost tap on the back of the neck to get the strings vibrating. Single Coils usually feedback very easily. Now as for sustain check out the tubes again and switch them out if there over a year old then i recommend swapping them if you get quite a bit of play on them.
Quote by TANG0DOWN21
I have a Marshall 40 Watt AVT 20 amp

theres you're problem
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
TS: by using sustain and feedback interchangeably, it gives the impression that you don't really know what you're talking about, something that is supported by your join date.

Feedback: try standing in front of the amp with high gain and volume. Single coils are better for this than traditional humbuckers (hollowbodies are the best though).

Sustain: I've heard a number of things, but the most surefire is to get a sustain pedal (ideally, the Fernandes Sustainer, but there are plenty of good lower-end models). A friend of mine added a door-knocker to his Explorer and swears it helped sustain--I'm less sure, but it looks cool.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by meow1992
theres you're problem

40 watts is plenty of power for tube amps... im able to literally shake my house with less than 20 watts of power and you could even gig with it incredibly easy. its only with solid state amps that they boost the wattage.
Quote by 95thFallout
Its ironic the problem is usually people can't get rid of feedback but you want some :P Which isn't bad for the record i love my feedback as long as i can control it :P Now your amp does have some tubes in it so i would first recommend swapping those out but before that try to literally shake your guitar in front of the amp at high volume high distortion and if you want take your fretting hand and almost tap on the back of the neck to get the strings vibrating. Single Coils usually feedback very easily. Now as for sustain check out the tubes again and switch them out if there over a year old then i recommend swapping them if you get quite a bit of play on them.

thanks i just disected my amp nd found that there is one tiny baby d*** tube. how do i go about changing that (im not good with electronics.. do i just take it to guitar center?
I would take it to a mom and pop shop before Gc just cause they won't screw you and are usually better and cheaper if you have never changed tubes before. Get them to show you and from there you should be rocking again.
Quote by jwd724
TS: by using sustain and feedback interchangeably, it gives the impression that you don't really know what you're talking about, something that is supported by your join date.

Feedback: try standing in front of the amp with high gain and volume. Single coils are better for this than traditional humbuckers (hollowbodies are the best though).

+1

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm