So, I am planning on getting a new guitar, looking for a single coil one. I prefer the way Gibson guitars feel, I have a studio Les Paul, but I'm not sure if P90's are what I am looking for. My question is how close are P90's to the typical strat/tele coil tone. I understand they have more midrange and output, and I won't get that brightness, but does it really differ that much? are they that much darker sounding?
P90's are slightly darker sounding but they also sound warmer and more soothing and are great for vintage blues and rock n' roll, classic rock etc. have a look at some semi-hollow bodies, reverend guitars or the gibson les paul studio P90 if you want P90's. if you want normal single coils go for a tele or strat. keeping an under $1000 doller budget in mind i would get a Reverend Sensei 290 or a Gibson Les Paul Studio P90 but telling what kinds of music you like and what budget you have would help.
I play alot of blues, classic rock, hard rock, and grunge.
I just prefer Gibson's necks, Tune-o-matic Bridges, and just generally am not a big fan of the way strats feel. Just curious how similar the P90 is to strat coils, I have a humbucker equipped guitar and i don't want to waste my money on something too similar.
Quote by brendanbreen
I play alot of blues, classic rock, hard rock, and grunge.
I just prefer Gibson's necks, Tune-o-matic Bridges, and just generally am not a big fan of the way strats feel. Just curious how similar the P90 is to strat coils, I have a humbucker equipped guitar and i don't want to waste my money on something too similar.

you have very similar views and musical tastes to me and i am in excactly the same position of which type of guitar to get - single coil or P90's. i also have a les paul studio. i actually started a thread very similar to this only today!
P90's sound more similar to humbuckers than single coils do but they are still way more single coil sounding and single coil by nature, they are also very tonally versatile cause they are fat sounding like humbuckers but still have a great sense of clarity and bite like single coils. you could get a guitar with two coil tappable humbuckers and replace one humbucker with a P90 pickup leaving you with a humbucker, a single coil and a P90 in one guitar. but out of the les paul or strat either replace one humbucker in your les paul to a P90 (les pauls cant be coil tapped) or get a strat hope ive helped
P-90 are kinda half single, half HB in the way they react. But I also have limited use with P90's, so take it with a grain of salt.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Wisthekiller
You could get a real Les Paul and switch out for humbucker sized p90s so if you don't like them, there are more replacements available.

I have a Les Paul with 498T and 490R pickups. I would prefer to have one humbucker guitar and on single coil.
Yeah, they're basically beefier-sounding single coils.

Dave Gilmour used a Les Paul with p90s for the another brick in the wall solo if that gives you any idea what they sound like.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.