Hey,
I'm practicing using Troy Stetina's "Speed mechanics for lead guitar".
Currently on the left hand section, I am using chromatic exercises up and down the neck, follow the books guidlines.

About 3 days ago I was doing these exercises no problem with a metronome, doing them fairly slowly (110 bpm).
I've been busy doing other things since then, but today I got to practice again, and I cannot coordinate my fingers properly at all, and can't keep in time with the metronome!

Is it because I am mentally tired?
It sorta sucks, I was all geared up to put some hours in today, and I'm incapable of playing anything worthwhile :l

Cheers
It could be a lot of things. If you're mentally tired, that could play a big part in it. I know I'm nowhere near my best if I'm tired, sick, preoccupied, etc. If you haven't played in a few days, it could be that you're just a bit rusty.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just start slow and build back up to your usual speed after you've got the coordination down again. Practicing every day, even if just for 15-30 minutes, will also help to ensure that you don't have "off days" as often.
I agree with Winter Sky, you're probably just a little rusty after a little time off. Start slower than usual, then bring your speed back up to what it was.
day to day consistency is one of the aspects of being a good, experienced guitarist. maybe you just had a lucky day that day? try and remember little things you were doing, like how you were holding the pick.

*okay, left hand...so hand positioning?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by AgZarp
Hey,
I'm practicing using Troy Stetina's "Speed mechanics for lead guitar".
Currently on the left hand section, I am using chromatic exercises up and down the neck, follow the books guidlines.

About 3 days ago I was doing these exercises no problem with a metronome, doing them fairly slowly (110 bpm).
I've been busy doing other things since then, but today I got to practice again, and I cannot coordinate my fingers properly at all, and can't keep in time with the metronome!

Is it because I am mentally tired?
It sorta sucks, I was all geared up to put some hours in today, and I'm incapable of playing anything worthwhile :l

Cheers

Hi AgZarp,

Tracking progress in speed and technique is best done over time (over weeks), rather than worrying about the daily fluctuations. You will have 'off days', just slow down a bit and remember that building great technique is not an overnight project.

And as VisibleNoise said, technique is best built by regular (preferably daily) practice. If you're practicing consistently, a little goes a long way. If you're in a practice-heavy phase, far better to do half an hour to an hour of focused technique practice every day rather than three hours twice a week.*

Getting your technique practice done in a focused hour or half-hour leaves you the rest of the time to learn songs, write songs, and play your favourite music (which is what it's all about anyway right?). There's no point having a ton of technique but no where to use it, so I'd try to strike a balance.

Good luck!

Steve

*I try to use real musical examples, rather than unmusical exercises, for my technique practice as much as possible. So rather than playing an alternate picking exercise that I couldn't use in a song, I'll try to find a passage of music that challenges my alternate picking technique and use that as my exercise.