According to this website, SRV had his pickup height set high: http://www.stevieray.com/gear.htm

Many have stated on this website, that his raised action caused the strings to be further away from the pickups which apparently is not true if the pickups were raised to compensate.

According to this site: http://www.ratcliffe.co.za/articles/pickupheight.shtml

A lower pickup height gives the guitar more sustain and a cleaner sound.

Now perhaps his pickups were raised because he was driving those super reverbs(6L6's) but I am running into a deluxe reverb (6V6's) which tend to break up easier. My pickup is way lower than Stevie's and lower than the recommended height for texas specials. Would lowering them even more produce a cleaner sound?
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
Quote by WesM.Vaughan
Would lowering them even more produce a cleaner sound?

Do you have a screwdriver? If you do, just lower the pickups on your guitar (I'm guessing Strat). See what happens.

If you have a strat, you won't even need to take off your strings.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
yea...i'm paranoid about changing things sometimes...I guess I could just mark the pickup shield with a magic marker and put it back in the same place...even then I will swear it isn't the same.

I just raised the pickups on my jackson SL-1 soloist (bridge humbucker) and I it seems to have more sustain.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
The closer they are to the strings, the more output and compression you get. They also sound like they have more bass and mids but that could just be the extra output. I've never checked it on a scope.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs