Page 1 of 2
While listening to Anathema today I thought about this concept ; most bands grow softer and less ferocious over time with their music i.e "selling out"

But how many bands are there that actually started out more accessible and grew heavier over time?

I can name a few off the top of my head:

Ministry
Pantera
Job For A Cowboy

Who else grew "heavier" over time?
My username is a Misnomer.

Im not into the whole drug scene....

I just think Fire is Boss.

Not metal but the Beatles.

And Metallica with Saint Anger!

Kidding.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
Not metal but the Beatles.

And Metallica with Saint Anger!

Kidding.

I feel if we asked this just after ...And Justice For All was released it would be true. That probably was their heaviest album.
Quote by itamar101
Guns N' Roses not much but a bit

lolwut?
Want a place to discuss real metal without the irritations the forums can bring?

The Red Shore. Okay, earlier stuff is deathcore, but I would almost call The Avarice Of Man death metal.

Uhm... The Acacia Strain and Ulcerate have also done so.

EDIT: Diablo Swing Orchestra too.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 29, 2011,
Dir En Grey.
Dream Theater (though they never should have gone beyond Train Of Thought imo)
Ayreon
Pestilence (might just be me, I thought their last was incredibly heavy)
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Meshuggah
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
Satans Host probably fit this description the best.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by guio/billie-joe
Kanye West, a lot of prog rock on his last album. Don't knock it until you've listened to it.

I really hope you're joking.
Want a place to discuss real metal without the irritations the forums can bring?

Last edited by Chopped_In_Half at Aug 29, 2011,
Quote by guio/billie-joe
Kanye West, a lot of prog rock on his last album. Don't knock it until you've listened to it.

I prefer his collaboration with Jay Z: the post avant-garde homoerotic blackened jazzcore influences were awesome.

EDIT: and yes, I did get the reference to him sampling King Crimson >_>
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 29, 2011,
Well in the sense that they moved from speed metal to black metal!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Shining.

The one that started as a Jazz band and then became a Jazz Rock band; then became a Jazz Metal band.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
kanye west sucks. Taking the title lyric of 21st Century Schizoid Man and placing it in your song by itself without doing anything for it to actually fit with the music or be relevant in any way does not make his music 'prog'. If you want a real progressive producer all you need is Madlib.

yes I know this isn't on topic.
/kanye rant
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
kanye west sucks. Taking the title lyric of 21st Century Schizoid Man and placing it in your song by itself without doing anything for it to actually fit with the music or be relevant in any way does not make his music 'prog'.

I never mentioned that song and I'm not talking about that song. I'm talking about his album. Anyway it wasn't an argument starter was just a relevant answer to what artists had gotten heavier.
Moonsorrow
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Burning_Angel
Moonsorrow

This is really a fantastic answer because it addresses heaviness not in terms of aesthetics but instead with regards to emotionally weighty themes and concepts, and the means through which they are delivered. Kivenkantaja, Voimasta Ja Kunniasta, etc. feel lighter than do the more recent albums. A+
I saw this thread title and thought to myself, "this could be quite an interesting thread".

Oh how wrong I was.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Same. Full of pedestrians.

To be topic - Celtic Frost

Compare Morbid Tales to Monotheist, and forget the two albums before Monotheist.

aesthetically of course. For emotional impact - Bathory, tracking up to his fifth album. I just sit back when Asa Bay comes on and feel utterly defeated afterwards.

Jesu also comes to mind, and Godflesh to an extent
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Aosoth
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by guio/billie-joe
I never mentioned that song and I'm not talking about that song. I'm talking about his album. Anyway it wasn't an argument starter was just a relevant answer to what artists had gotten heavier.

Regardless of how right or wrong you are (lets face it, you're probably wrong) changing from radio friendly rap to radio friendly rap with prog rock influences doesn't exactly constitute 'getting heavier.' (Gaining weight, it should be.)
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
This is really a fantastic answer because it addresses heaviness not in terms of aesthetics but instead with regards to emotionally weighty themes and concepts, and the means through which they are delivered. Kivenkantaja, Voimasta Ja Kunniasta, etc. feel lighter than do the more recent albums. A+

Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by guitgrinder
Testament. From The Ritual to Low it's like their balls dropped 8 inches.

This.
Gorguts maybe?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by guitgrinder
Testament

Indeed. But in their case atleast heavier doesn't really mean better

how about Judas Priest?
If you count 'inclines' per se. Paradise Lost fit the bill perfectly.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Reages
the autumn offering

I know the original Guitarist Matt Johnson. He works for the same company as me.

Regardless, they are terrible and don't belong in this forum.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by elatihc
Indeed, and in their case heavier means a lot better

how about Judas Priest?

Fix'd for correctitude! Anyone who says The Gathering isn't as good as any of the first 5 needs to have their ears checked. I feel The Gathering is damn near the perfect metal album for any band. Waaaay better than Souls of Black for sure. Sick riff after sick riff, vocals w/ awesome imagery & delivery, drums by Dave Lombardo, bass by Steve Digiorgio & leads by none other than James Murphy.

I know Low & Demonic were similar albums, but The Gathering was just so out of left field in how great of a record it is, yet often overloooked, even by Testament fans. Amazing energy, production, musicians on the album, etc. I might as well stop now 'cuz I can go on all day about how great of an album it is & cannot think of a single bad thing to say about it, except that it's missing the obligitory ballad about Chuck Billy's Native American heritage.
Quote by guitgrinder
Fix'd for correctitude! Anyone who says The Gathering isn't as good as any of the first 5 needs to have their ears checked. I feel The Gathering is damn near the perfect metal album for any band. Waaaay better than Souls of Black for sure. Sick riff after sick riff, vocals w/ awesome imagery & delivery, drums by Dave Lombardo, bass by Steve Digiorgio & leads by none other than James Murphy.

I know Low & Demonic were similar albums, but The Gathering was just so out of left field in how great of a record it is, yet often overloooked, even by Testament fans. Amazing energy, production, musicians on the album, etc. I might as well stop now 'cuz I can go on all day about how great of an album it is & cannot think of a single bad thing to say about it, except that it's missing the obligitory ballad about Chuck Billy's Native American heritage.

HUGE fan of The Gathering.

On topic, Behemoth, maybe they didnt got better but surely got heavier.
getting softer = selling out
perfect logic
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage

I think plenty of bands got heavier when new genres were being introduced to the world. But quite often those bands got less heavy at some point.

And to refer to fumb duck's flawless logic, that is unfortunately the way of thinking for a lot of people. Heavy seems to often be viewed blindly as none other than a good thing in metal.
Page 1 of 2